Good AutoCAD benchmark?

bobcrotch

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm building a system for a customer right now for AutoCAD, or CAD type programs. Is there any sort of util for benching it? He wants to go with a 6800GT and I don't think it's going to really do it. I told him that he needs to step up to a real cad card.

But I don't know a whole lot about CAD, maybe someone else does.

A workstation card would be best, but if money is an issue. A desktop counterpart would be good. A 6800GT should be fine, but a Nvidia Quadro or ATI FireGL would be best.

If he plans to make a living from this, then yeah, a professional card is the way to go. I don't know where to find good benchmarks for it though :(

I think it depends on the type of cad work he is doing.
If he is just working with lines, basic 2d stuff, then any midrange card will do. But heavy on the ram and processor,

If he is working with modeling then yeah, you are going to want to get a high end workstation card, along with the load of ram and processor.

I'm not really positive what type of modeling he's doing, probably 3D though because it's a civil engineering firm.

See the thing is that I've built 3 other systems for him 875 boards with 3.0c and a gig of ram, plus a nice fireGL card. But the other guy who works at the shop convinced him to get a 6800GT, why? I really don't know. But I called him and let him know that I'll benchmark it and see where it comes up, also if it doesn't work for him he can bring it back and we'll get the FireGL card for him that he's been using.

Anyhow thank a lot guys, you rock.

Back