Good article about LCD monitors

MichaelBate said:
I read this article (in the first post) with considerable interest.

However I have been unable to determine which technology is used by the different LCD displays. The only exception is the Samsung, which uses PVA.

This information is not listed with the specifcations on the various websites.

The displays that I am interested in are the 23"-24" wide screen LCDs: Apple, HP, Samsung, Sony.

A query to Sony went unanswered. I actually spoke to an Apple who did not know the answer and never got back to me.

Am I missing something?

- Michael Bate
All 23" LCDs by Apple, HP and Sony are IPS. Usually you can determine the type of panel by it's specs.

Roger said:
All 23" LCDs by Apple, HP and Sony are IPS. Usually you can determine the type of panel by it's specs.

Do you know what technology the Dell uses?

I'm curious how you went about determining that from the specs. The ones I looked at do not indicate IPS.

MichaelBate said:
Do you know what technology the Dell uses?

I'm curious how you went about determining that from the specs. The ones I looked at do not indicate IPS.
The 2405FPW is PVA while the 2001FP and 2005FPW are IPS.

You can usually tell it's an IPS panel by a low contrast ratio, wide viewing angles and 12/16ms response time. PVA has higher contrast ratio and slow response time. At least it used to. Newer monitors with PVA panels use an overdrive technology to speed up the response time so yeah, it's harder to determine the panel type by its specs than it used to be.

umm, you should've probably created your own thread because you propably wont be getting too many responses here :rolleyes:

Back