Good anti-virus for dial up users??

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I am looking for an antivirus to put on a clients machine. He is on dial up and I don't like how AVG handles dial up because you can't set it to update itself once it senses a connection. I need that functionality. Am I going to have to shell out for Norton or will any of the free ones do this? I want the antivirus to be as transparent as possible. Thanks in advance.

Lyquist

I am not sure of any free ones that have that funcionality. Can't you just tell the person to manually update it weekly? It isn't that hard.

For AVG, try looking under task scheduler, schedule a virus update every day at 5am or whatever, and then check the "if internet connection isn't available, check when it goes online" box. That should do it, though I don't have a dial-up connection to test it on.

As to transparency, I would suggest something like NOD32 over Norton (non-corporate) and day. Smaller footprint, great detection routines, fully customizable task scheduling. Grab the demo and see what you think if the above doesn't work.

The problem is that AVG doesn't do it consistently. My opinion of AVG has definitely gone down the last month or so. The guy I'm building the computer for doesn't know much about them at all, so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible. Anyone else got any suggestions? Will Norton automatically update itself when it senses that a connection is present? Thanks in advance.

Lyquist

Back