Good and bad examples of cable sleeving

charlesshoults

Weaksauce
Lots of companies and individuals are doing cable sleeving, retailers, aftermarket and enthusiasts alike. Some do it well and some don't. For example, the following picture. While it was a good attempt, I consider this a fail. The cabling doesn't get close enough to the connector, leaving a lot of original wire exposed. The second picture is much, much better. The braided sleeve goes right up to the connector itself and the shrink tubing goes into the connector. MDCP makes some very nice colors. I particular like the grand bleu, providing a very subtle offset to the black. I would like to color-code my cables, while still keeping things predominantly black. Anyone know of companies that make sleeving that is not in solid colors? Something like what you see in the last two pictures.
24.jpg

dsc03687muoe.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

2lnjse8.jpg

HDMI_cable_sleeving.jpg

They are both fine IMO. Just different styles. I don't like the 2nd example personally because I think it's just for looks and defeats the purpose. To everybody their own I guess.

The reason the sleeving doesn't go up to the connector is because (24pin example) it expands from a half inch bundle of wire to a 2 inch by half inch connector. Unless each individual wire was sleeved, there'd be no way to get that close to the connector. Being that sleeving every wire uses 20 times as much sleeving (and thus is significantly more expensive for a minor cosmetic gain) companies that pre-sleeve PSU's just use one large sleeve and cover most of the bundle.

Yea I don't like the first, that is how my psu is, sleeves leave too much wire exposed. When I get a new one for my upcoming build, I will resleeve it if it looks like that.
I don't like the look of the individual wire sleeving either though, at least not on the main motherboard cable. Just too wide and looks disorganized. Maybe if they had them tightly wound together up until each end it would look good. Going to try that with mine. Just finished my first sleeving job yesterday, pretty easy but very time consuming.

I saw one example where they sleeved the individual wires for about the first three inches, then switched to a larger size to encase them all. I'm wondering about setting up some of the wires more like an automotive wiring harness. Each wire goes to it's own location, but in areas where several wires would run parallel, they are encased in larger sleeving.

Well, sleeving when it comes to PSU wires serves a few useful purposes. It keeps all the wires together neatly, helps airflow, and makes it easier to do cable management. Individually sleeving wires is purely cosmetic. Up to you which you prefer :)

I saw one example where they sleeved the individual wires for about the first three inches, then switched to a larger size to encase them all....

I like this idea. I found an pic of it.
DSC05893.jpg

Individually sleeved wires is a waste imo.

This isn't what sleeving was made for!

Wirecare has some multi-colored sleeving if you're interested though. I think the kind in the pic is carried by them.

IMHO we're lucky to have most things sleeved like they are. A couple years ago, no psu company sleeved their cables and we had to make due with zip ties.

If companies starting doing individual wire sleeving like that, there would be less product output (due to increased build/construction time) and prices would certainly go up.

I think the murder mod style is neat, but I'd never bother doing it. I don't spend much time looking inside of my computer case, and no one else really does either. :eek: Sleeved like #1 is fine with me; it gets the job done enough to make cable management easier. May not be as pretty as #2 and so on but I don't care.

Back