• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good amp for HD595's?

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
1,787
What are my options on headphone amps for Senn HD595's. I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS.

Do I even need an amp?

/clueless
 
you could run them on a pa2v2 or whatever it is, they run like 60 and are portable. otherwise check headfi
 
get a Total AirHead from headphone.com. :) it's around 150, but I haven't heard the pav2 or w/e and it looks a heck of a lot cheaper but I hear good things from both
 
I'm about to get the PA2V2. Go to www.electric-avenues.com to check it out. It'll run you about $60-65.

It's a real portable amp that improves bass and overall detail and punch of most headphones. It's an amp that gives a 'warmer' sound.


If you're interest in it at all, email Gary. He is Very generous and reasonable. A great guy to deal with!!
 
winston856 said:
I'm about to get the PA2V2. Go to www.electric-avenues.com to check it out. It'll run you about $60-65.

It's a real portable amp that improves bass and overall detail and punch of most headphones. It's an amp that gives a 'warmer' sound.


If you're interest in it at all, email Gary. He is Very generous and reasonable. A great guy to deal with!!

I'd like to get one but someone said that you would hear a hum if powered using an outlet.
Using batteries there would be no hum. Any truth to that?
 
sitheris said:
That looks like something i would have to build??? I don't think I wanna do that, I just want something I can buy and use right away with no problems

MisterX builds Pimetas (among other amps). He does great work, just shoot the man a PM.
 
pettybone said:
I'd like to get one but someone said that you would hear a hum if powered using an outlet.
Using batteries there would be no hum. Any truth to that?
The PA2v2 can be run from the outlet directly, or by 2 AA batteries. Didn't know if you kneow that (I was confused from your post).

With my headphones, I can not tell a difference between when the AC power cord is plugged in, or when its just running off batteries.

Note: I keep rechargeable batteries in even when the AC is pluged in. I'm not exactly sure how the circuit works, so I don't know if its *technically* still running off of batteries or if the AC bypasses the batteries. Somone correct me if im wrong.

Past half volume, there begins to be a small hiss. Anything below and its practically dead silent.
 
Here's one of my conversations with Gary regarding the PA2V2:

It is always a good idea to
keep a pair of rechargeable batteries installed inside the amp,
even if it will be used from the AC adapter most of the time.
This is because the batteries filter the signal from the adapter
and really help to hold the amp's supply voltage constant. This
results in much more quiet operation of the amp. It depends on
the power supply in each person's area too, some places have a
cleaner electrical signal than others.

I prefer to use NiMH rechargeable batteries in the PA2V2.
There are many good brands such as Duracell, Energizer, Sanyo,
and Golden Power (GP). I usually get the ones that are on sale
at the time or priced well. There are also different mAh
ratings. The higher the rating, the longer the amp will last
between charges. The highest rating these days seems to 2500mAh
but anything over 2000mAh should give you around 100 hours of
battery life in the amp.

If the amplifier is kept turned
on then it is alright to leave the AC adapter plugged in all the
time, the batteries will not become overcharged as long as the
amp is turned on. A lot of people do this, they plug the amp in
next to their computer and just leave the amp running 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week.

If you turn the amp off then the adapter should not be left
plugged in for more than about 12 hours, to prevent
overcharging. After 12 hours of charging this will be enough to
make the batteries full. From there they can last in the area of
100 hours at a medium listening level.
 
Aren't the newer 595s all 50ohm and as such an external amp is not needed?
 
Back
Top