good alternative to NAV

Khaotica

n00b
Is there a good alternative to NAV that doesn't take up as much system resources but performs on par so to speak?

NOD32 very light on the resources and a great AV
however I have a dedicated Trojan Scanner (TDS-3),
Ive found that most AVs lack in the Trojan Detection field
not specialized enough

Extendia's AVK pro uses 2 engines, Kaspersky Pro's and RAV. It also uses their definitions too, so basically you're using 2 AVs in one. Works VERY well for me. I'd say the only other solution (besides using Kaspersky pro on it's own) is NOD32, if it's set up correctly. The rest are....sub par at best. Nortons has WAY too many issues for a mediocre AV, and the free ones pretty much suck. I think the best endorsement anyone's ever made for a free AV besides the price is "Well, it hasn't found a virus yet!" Well, if it's a bad AV, it WOULDN'T find a virus, now would it? ;)

entropism said:
Extendia's AVK pro uses 2 engines...I think the best endorsement anyone's ever made for a free AV besides the price is "Well, it hasn't found a virus yet!" Well, if it's a bad AV, it WOULDN'T find a virus, now would it? ;)

I thought AVK was only in German. Is there an English edition?

Regarding free AVs, I have argued this point on forums for the past couple of years and generally the AVG Cult Members will tell stories about how it detected a bug that Norton or some other AV missed. The thing is that AVG is famous for false detections. On the other hand, if someone is going to use a free AV they probably are not going to pay for one so having one is better than not having one. As well AVG did receive a VB 100% for the first time under Windows and unlike in the past it has been updating as often as other AVs. Makes one wonder if they are gearing up to switch to a non-free license model for all users?

One finally note, the only advantage to KAV Pro is that it has process protection and is geared for network administration. Generally, I would say the home user should just stick to the personal edition and save a few coins.

Back