• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good aftermarket cooler.

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
4,308
I need a recommendation for a cooler and thermal compound for a Q9650. Thanks! Currently I use AS5.
 
Any budget? The best out there right now are the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and IFX-14, although neither come with a fan so you'll need to add your own. The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and OCZ Vendetta are excellent choices if you're looking for something cheaper. As for paste, Arctic Cooling MX-2 and Tuniq TX-2 are pretty much at the top of the barrel. They're both about equal in terms of performance and neither require time to burn in like AS5 does, which is a definite plus.
 
But not a particularly good option. The Ninja isn't that great of a heatsink anymore.

Like I said, if you want to save some cash. My ninja spec b with the fm121 wont go over 45c with a E8400 OC to 3600 and wont go past 52c at 3800.
 
The TRUE is among the best with the best compatability.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=185&products_id=24018

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=185&products_id=20570


If I needed a new cooler I'd get this one 'cause it's very nice. You'd have to hurry though because it is a limited edition.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=201843

Any info on where to buy?
 
Anyone notice that the Xigmatek 1283 and the OCZ Vendetta look... strikingly similar?
 
Any info on where to buy?

Well, after looking into it a little more I guess it doesn't get released until next month time. It's so nice I might just have to pick one up myself, even though I don't need one.
 
If you're looking to overclocking, go for the ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme or TRUE for short. Pair up with a 120mm fan it's a beast.

The beast Thermal Compound out there today would be the Arctic Cooling MX-2 or the Tuniq TX-2. I believe both are equivalent with only TX-2 in the lead by 1- 2 degree in some cases. If you have AS5 on hand, use that, no need to go out and buy a tube for a few degree difference unless you're really into that stuff.
 
If you're looking to overclocking, go for the ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme or TRUE for short. Pair up with a 120mm fan it's a beast.

The beast Thermal Compound out there today would be the Arctic Cooling MX-2 or the Tuniq TX-2. I believe both are equivalent with only TX-2 in the lead by 1- 2 degree in some cases. If you have AS5 on hand, use that, no need to go out and buy a tube for a few degree difference unless you're really into that stuff.

Thanks, I am not looking to do any major OCing. I may do some ''fine tuning'' and thats about it. The goal for this system is going to be stability and performance. I was thinking of just picking up a tube of the TX-2 because of the burn in time.
 
Thanks, I am not looking to do any major OCing. I may do some ''fine tuning'' and thats about it. The goal for this system is going to be stability and performance. I was thinking of just picking up a tube of the TX-2 because of the burn in time.


If you're not doing any major overclocking, you might want to look into the TRUE's little brother, the Ultima-90. Performs very similar to the larger heatsinks out there but it's smaller, lighter, and costs less than it's big brother. I've been using one for a while now and I've been very pleased with it. Granted, I don't have a heavy overclock, but it keeps my C2D nice and cool and I don't have to worry about the heatsink shifting if I move my PC too much.

http://jab-tech.com/Thermalright-Ultima-90-pr-3852.html
 
The Kingwin Revolution is also the same unit rebranded.

The sink part of the RVT-12025 (not the D version) is identical to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, but it uses a slightly slower and quieter fan. The Vendetta 2 uses a completely different fin design, but the base arrangement is the same.
 
One thing to note about the TRUE, the fins are relatively thick, and the whole fin array is very dense. This means that it performs well, with a fan that has good pressure. You're either going to need a fast 120mm fan, or a not-quite-as-fast 120 x 38mm to get good cooling. If you're not running faster case fans for overall system airflow, and fast fans on coolers, the TRUE will never reach it's full potential. That, and it's damn expensive.

If you're trying to build a tolerably quiet system, or at least you don't have monster airflow though the case, then I would look to something like Xigmatek S1283, or even better for low-airflow, Thermalright's own HR-01+. It's actually SPCR's best heatsink. Just a suggestion.

I personally don't like the TRUE, and I believe that you can get a cooler with equal performance for less money with Xigmatek, Zalman, Sunbeam CCF, etc. There are many more better coolers for your hard-earned dollars than the TRUE.
 
Back
Top