Good 5-way Coax Splitters?

runt

2[H]4U
Do such things exist? I am fairly sure my TV Tuner issues are caused by Charter putting splitter after splitter in line when they wired my apt. I am going to try removing one from the loop tonight, but if it works I either need a good 3-way splitter in my second room or a 5-way in the living room and I would prefer to have fewer splitters rather than more :)

So far the only 5-way splitters I have found are on eBay and seem to be dubious quality.......should I just stick to putting one 3-way splitter after the other one?

5-way? I've never seen a 5-way coax splitter.

You should look at installing a proper signal amp where the signal comes in from Charter.

Step one will be finding a proper signal amp since my only store choice is radio shack :(

check the lockbox on the side of your apt building, half the time they aren't even locked. XD How is the wiring set up inside your apt right now?

Are you living in a newer apt complex or an older one? In most of the newer complexes the lines in your apt are fed into a little panel inside your master closet and then it goes to the ped/lockbox.

Its an older building. Cable comes out of the ground on the south side & into a box. Then runs up over the building (3 story, 2 apt entrances on each side of the hallway per lvl) then back down and into my apt. Runs from the jack to a 3 way splitter Charter provided, the -3.5db output goes to the bedroom other 2 run to the living room tivo & digital cable box. In the second bedroom is a 2 way splitter, one feeds the cable modem the other feeds another 2 way splitter (since Charter didn't leave a 3 way like I asked). One output from this splitter feeds my computer, the other runs to the tivo in the other bedroom. I would call Charter, but they are going to say I have to pay a service fee since I don't subscribe to their "service plan" and I am not going to do that. Sadly, I wasn't home when they installed to see what the signal level was. On the plus side, I can hit the modem and theoretically check its signal level ;) To me it looks like its downstream power might be a little low but I have no clue what that would make Media Center only get digital channels but everything else can get analog & digital.

Code:
Downstream
Lock Status - Operational
Modulation - 256QAM
Channel ID - 220
Provisioned Rate - 5600 kbps
Symbol Rate - 41879.195 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power - 8.0 dBmV
SNR - 37.0 dB

Upstream
Lock Status - Operational
Modulation - 64QAM
Channel ID - 2 
Provisioned Rate - 1120 kbps 
Symbol Rate - 2560 Ksym/sec 
Upstream Power - 40.0 dBmV

Yes, there are 5 way coax splitters, but avoid them due to the amount of signal loss. Go with an amp.

Ok, I am going to try to get an amp then put my cable modem before the amp just to be safe (i.e. re-do all the wiring that I can).

I believe the best way to wire it would be Incoming Connection -> (split with bi-direction 2 way splitter) 1- Cable Modem --- 2 - Amplifier -> 5 way splitter. Don't amplify the modem signal.

I believe the best way to wire it would be Incoming Connection -> (split with bi-direction 2 way splitter) 1- Cable Modem --- 2 - Amplifier -> 5 way splitter. Don't amplify the modem signal.

Yeah I was told this by a cable technician a few years ago. Make the cablemodem priority when wiring up your cable. Never put it behind more than one splitters or you might risk packet loss.

Code:
wall ---------------splitter---------->cablemodem
                         |
                         |
                         v
                     everything else
                     (televisions, more
                      splitters, amps, etc)

Yeah I was told this by a cable technician a few years ago. Make the cablemodem priority when wiring up your cable. Never put it behind more than one splitters or you might risk packet loss.

Code:
wall ---------------splitter---------->cablemodem
                         |
                         |
                         v
                     everything else
                     (televisions, more
                      splitters, amps, etc)

I'm so glad Charter doesn't know how to hook crap up then :(

Its currently like this
Code:
          wall--
               |
               v
TiVo <---Splitter-->Digital Cable box
               |
               v
       --Splitter---->Cable Modem
       |
       v
  -Splitter---
  |           |
  v           v
TiVo    Computer

I have charter and I have to say they are the Evil of all of the Cable Co's Out there :D

I know Charter Sucks I am in Trumbull CT I used to live in Bridgeport CT (Glad To be out of Bridgeport) and I had CableVision Optimum IO and Optimum Online and IO and Optimum Online was much better and the internet was alot faster then Charters 5MBPS

Try Parts Express. They might have something like that. Radio Shack used to have a powered splitter, but I don't know how many outputs it has.

Back