Good 4 port router?

Celorfin

n00b
Maybe a little off-topic, but i'm looking for a firewall/router as well. Right now the most important thing to me is firewall capability cause I'm sick of software solutions. Any suggestion on which brand/model to get?

Nother vote for linksys. I've got about $20K in linksys equipment. If something fails, they are very good about customer service.

Originally posted by cmosdos
Nother vote for linksys. I've got about $20K in linksys equipment. If something fails, they are very good about customer service.

You have $20,000 in Linksys equipment? Obviously, this is for a business environment -- what the heck do you use? Hopefully, mostly just NICs...!

another for linksys
I had a dlink, it was a pice of shi.. crap. It would work half the time and even then it would be slow as ass

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
You have $20,000 in Linksys equipment? Obviously, this is for a business environment -- what the heck do you use? Hopefully, mostly just NICs...!

About (15) 24 port switches with fiber modules. 24 port gigabit managed layer 3 linksys 1324 switch. (200) 5 port switches. Couple dozen wireless routers, access points, etc. Probably some other stuff laying around too.

Yes, for a business. Home, I've got a linksys wireless router, another router, wireless card (PCI), wireless card (PCMCIA), umm.. heh, more stuff in a box somewhere I've probably forgotten about.

Yes, I'm Linksys' bitch :D

Recently I bought D-Link Di-514 wireless router ( not using wireless) but only 4 ports, and I'm satisfied with it, it does what it supposed to, have good user manual, and good administrative interface.
+ BestBuy have 20$ MIR on it ( so it's 59$ - 20$ = 39$) not a bad deal.
The reason I don't have LInkSys is becasue I had trouble with LinkSys and RoadRunner connection ( IP dropping, and slowness) And I tried 2 LinkSys routers) .
However I'm not saying LinkSys is bad, becasue otehr people seems to love it:) I don't

Chalk me up as another one with a Netgear RT314 router. I've had this thing since May of 2001 when I got Roadrunner and it hasen't missed a beat. Of course they don't make this model anymore and the new ones are 1/2 the price I paid for this one. Overall I have had good luck with Netgear stuff.

Blitzrommel said:
If I had a nickel for every time a "good router?" question came up... :)

Man that could be a lot of nickels :D

Well I have excellent luck with linksys. I currently have a linksys WRT54G Router and that replaced a BEFSX41 only because i wanted the wireless connection for the laptop :)

I am personally running a Netgear WGR614 (G Wireless) at home and have recommended their products relentlessly for the last year or so for home use. From my past experience the linksys devices I've used in the past have simply been slower and horrible for gaming.

With that said, that's not generally the case any longer. Routers have come a long way and so has linksys, especially now that they have been purchased by Cisco. With the introduction of third party firmware offering substanially higher degrees of configuration options and performance, if I had it to do over again -- I'd probably have bought a Linksys.

But with that said, please understand I have had -no- problems with my WGR614 either and performance is top notch. Well unless you count the dns forwarding issue with the 5.x firmware -- do yourself a favor and stay away until the next release and down-flash to 4.x if you get one with the 5.x firmware pre-installed.

So it's up to you... =)

i know this might be a stupid question to the person that has 20k worth of linksys eq but why dont you use cisco stuff?

to the OP: if you have an old P1 of some sort you can make your own router www.smoothwall.com

kur1j said:
i know this might be a stupid question to the person that has 20k worth of linksys eq but why dont you use cisco stuff?

Because instead of 20K, it would be 200K. =) hehe

Celorfin said:
Maybe a little off-topic, but i'm looking for a firewall/router as well. Right now the most important thing to me is firewall capability cause I'm sick of software solutions. Any suggestion on which brand/model to get?
One Word... CISCO!!!
Simply the Best

-(Xyphox)- said:
One Word... CISCO!!!
Simply the Best

Aye, they are... but not for the money and not for home. If you want to or do work with them at work and wish to learn or are running a business which demands that kind of routing hardware and can afford them then yes, they are the best. =)

For a home user -- either get a Linksys or Netgear router or if you have an old computer and two NIC's, build one with Smoothwall or IPCop.

Another vote for Linksys WRT54G here. I've been installing them in our clients houses since cable is now avaiable to most folks. Installs are painless for the most part, and the Linksys routers have been giving no problems to the clients.

That in itself, is worth every penny. For home and low end business users, Linksys pretty much the best choice as far as im concerned.

We hardly do any CISCO installations anymore. Most of our clients arn't big enough nor finacially able to afford the high upfront costs of CISCO equipment. We've been installing SonicWall and PIXs firewalls, along with 3Com switches and they have been happy as clams.

I have been running a Cisco 831 at home that I have been pleased with...

The Cisco SOHO 91 is a scaled back 831 that I think sells for about $250?
If you have modest VPN needs the 91 is pretty nice...

The Linksys RV042 is a nice little box.

If you go Cisco there can be a learning curve. Cisco is also good at getting in your wallet; as you will probably want a SmartNet contract to get IOS updates and access to all of their online tools and goodies... :)

Back