Good 2.1 System, need some help

Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
2,578
Hey guys...I've realized I don't do a ton of surround sound gaming and I want something smaller then my old logitech 5.1's (which im sure ill sell for $20.00 or something) But im wondering what many of you recommend for me as a 2.1 (or just 2 speakers) system. I don't watch a ton of movies (thats mostly done by my TV and such) I'm trying to do something under $149 if I manage it. Any suggestions? Thanks again
 
Just ditched my old altec lansing 5.1 for Klipsch promedia 2.1 THX system, gonna test it out tonite.
 
I have Logiteh 530s and I got to say I am disapointed with them also, I never hear anything from the rears and when I switch to headphones I am missing most of the sound, so I also have been thinking about going to 2.1 speakers, something like the logitech 2300s I have heard nothing but good out of them, but I wish they had a 2.1 version of the 5500s.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836119101

Klipsch Promedia 2.1's seem to fit your budget. I own this, and it's quite decent. Loud but clear, the bass and subwoofer is tight and full without being booming. The placement of the power switch (on the subwoofer) could be better but this is still the best setup for the price, you won't get better audio unless you spent alot more money.
 
the logitech or klipsch set are your best bet, i own the klipsch 5.1 system myself and i've listened a lot to my buddies logitech setup.... i personally prefer my speakers and he likes his over mine. just personal preference really but i'd take a look at both and decide for yourself. both are very soild speakers and you wont be disappointed with either.
 
Sweet, thanks guys; I think i'm going to stop by compusa and listen to both these systems and go from there. Thanks again for the help!
 
Ok, set up the Klipsch promedia 2.1 thx. if you're planning to get them I'll post the pros and cons.
Purchase price: $140

Pros:
-Awesome sound, very clear, solid, clean bass.
-No distortion on high volume, crisp highs, mids and lows
-Very affordable
-Possible to use with a small home theatre setup.

Cons:
-miniplugs at the back of the satellites cause loss of sound when moved a tiny bit.
-too powerful of a system if you live in a condo
-headset plug on the right satellite is hard to reach.
-only left satellite plays at very low volume (3-5%)
 
Thanks hardc0re, i think ill end up going with the Klipsch; i need to spoil myself :D What kind of soundcard were you using and when you use headphones is there any "static" or slight buzzing?
 
Thanks hardc0re, i think ill end up going with the Klipsch; i need to spoil myself :D What kind of soundcard were you using and when you use headphones is there any "static" or slight buzzing?

I use my onboard realtek AC97 which causes a passive buzzing in all speakers/heaphones I've used. An aftermarket soundcard would be a good upgrade, I hear the Creative XFI's are pretty good.
 
I like the Logitech Z-2300 more than the Klipsch ProMedia, but both will make you really happy.
 
Ha, ok cool; i was just wondering if it was just me. Now if i just get a "cheap" PCI Creative 5.1 Card will i get the same issue? I dont want to spend alot.
 
I would suggest the Klipsch iFi over the Promedia 2.1 or the 2300 Logi.

At klipsch.com for $179.
 
i believe the iFi speakers are a lot better than the promedias and z2300s, but i don't see where they are $179 on the klipsch website?
 
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1886685,00.asp

PC Mag has them priced for $399. Maybe Pinipig got his from a white van.

Wow... I saw them on the Klipsch site about 1 month ago when I recommended these to a friend of mine. They were being sold on ebay by Klipsch themselves also (under their name also, with warranty). I just checked and it's gone...

Well, you can scratch that from your list. Who knew that Klipsch would actually run out of the iFi.

:confused:
 
Wow... I saw them on the Klipsch site about 1 month ago when I recommended these to a friend of mine. They were being sold on ebay by Klipsch themselves also (under their name also, with warranty). I just checked and it's gone...

Well, you can scratch that from your list. Who knew that Klipsch would actually run out of the iFi.

:confused:

LOL, so true. it's not that the iFi are bad speakers, they're just pretty expensive for what they offer. once you start spending over $250-300 on a 2.1 setup you should be looking at a receiver/bookshelves/sub setup.
 
LOL, so true. it's not that the iFi are bad speakers, they're just pretty expensive for what they offer. once you start spending over $250-300 on a 2.1 setup you should be looking at a receiver/bookshelves/sub setup.
IMO, computer speakers generally give you a better value than a receiver/bookshelves/sub setup until you want to spend $750 or so (you can knock some of that off by replacing a receiver with a simple $30 T-amp). And they almost always work better in a near-field setup. You generally need different things when wanting to fill a room with music vs listening to music and PC sounds sitting at a computer.
 
IMO, computer speakers generally give you a better value than a receiver/bookshelves/sub setup until you want to spend $750 or so (you can knock some of that off by replacing a receiver with a simple $30 T-amp). And they almost always work better in a near-field setup. You generally need different things when wanting to fill a room with music vs listening to music and PC sounds sitting at a computer.

thats why my klipsch 5.1 ultras will last me until i get a good job after college and i settle down, that type of thing. :)
 
Back
Top