Good 2.1 speakers?

That depends on what you need. Define good, i.e.: what are you comparing them to? I think they're terrible, but my reference is set very, very high. You may love them.
 
Well, what would you recommend? Right now I'm just using some cheap $30 speakers from wal mart.
 
Could you save a little more and push to $120? They're going to recommend a 2.0 setup...
Yes, I'd recommend that.

If you really want a subwoofer, then I suppose the Z-2300 are the best in that price range, next being the Z-4s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Yeah, go ahead and stick to Logicrap. Can't do anything with less than $100.
 
Okay, how about up to $150? And I thought it would sound better with a sub? I'm in an apt so maybe it's not that great anyway.
 
Okay, how about up to $150? And I thought it would sound better with a sub? I'm in an apt so maybe it's not that great anyway.

The bass is better with a sub, yeah. But decent subs start around $80-100 independent of your other gear. It's better on a low budget to get a better pair of sats instead of diverting some of the funds into a poor excuse for a sub.

Here's a good start for you, AV40s for $130. Directron and a few other places have a similar price, but the Amazon one is free ship & no tax to most states. Should be more than adequate for the budget, and won't suffer too much without a sub (but could benefit from one in the future if you like.)

Good sub if you want one later.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The bass is better with a sub, yeah. But decent subs start around $80-100 independent of your other gear. It's better on a low budget to get a better pair of sats instead of diverting some of the funds into a poor excuse for a sub.

Here's a good start for you, AV40s for $130. Directron and a few other places have a similar price, but the Amazon one is free ship & no tax to most states. Should be more than adequate for the budget, and won't suffer too much without a sub (but could benefit from one in the future if you like.)

Good sub if you want one later.
While those speakers look nice they seem awfully big, or do the pictures just make them look big? I don't have much space on my desk.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are in an apartment, I suggest quality headphones. Better sound quality per dollar spent and you can have much more variety per dollar in sound and audio components.
 
If you are in an apartment, I suggest quality headphones. Better sound quality per dollar spent and you can have much more variety per dollar in sound and audio components.

I second this. I love my K702s... Then again I bought them for $280, a little outside your price range, not including the amp and DAC for them too, hehe. :p
 
Swan M10s or M12s. $100-120. www.theaudioinsider.com

D1080MKIIs if you're willing to go 2.0.

2nded - a 2.1 setup for your budget in the $100 or less price range, the swans will be the best investment in audio you will ever make, barnone. for a little more cash, they will be light years ahead of the logitech setup you were looking at in terms of audio quality.

m10 - $109

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m10/products_id/89

m12 - $99

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m12/products_id/115

you can thank us later.
 
You only know what you're missing out on once you actually listen to high quality equipment.

The Amazon reviews of Logitech speakers are extremely deceptive.
 
Do the M10s sound great? I'm also looking for a set of high quality 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. They certainly look fantastic.
 
Do the M10s sound great? I'm also looking for a set of high quality 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. They certainly look fantastic.

Yes, and you can crank the piss out of them as the drivers can be replaced cheaply at Parts Express or Madisound. They're off-the-shelf HiVi speakers (Swan is one of their brands). Good, quality-built stuff.
 
Yeah, go ahead and stick to Logicrap. Can't do anything with less than $100.
Bit of a blanket statement. You can actually get a decent integrated or cheap receiver and a pair of bookshelves for around $100. Insignias are $50 used, $50 left for a used amp is reasonable to work with if you're willing to do some digging. A sub is out but you could always upgrade later as one isn't really necessary per se.

To the OP, if space is a problem, go with one of the Swans shown above. If you enjoy bargain hunting, try to look to build your own 2 channel set-up. The headphone suggestion is a good option but make sure you're into headphones first, they aren't for everyone. I invested quite a bit into my headphone rig and found late that I was more satisfied with a $300 pair of bookshelves (Granted they're being powered with a $1k amp but you know...that's how it goes. :p They sound fine with a cheap receiver.)
 
I'd probably go with the creative t3100 or t3200 over the logitechs. thespeakercompany.com also has some cheaper speakers that people claim to be comparable to z-4s.
 
Pick up a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 sets they are great for the price, have a look around and maybe you can find a used set and save a bit.
 
+1 to the Klipsch Promedia if you just want a simple, quality 2.1 system for around $100 or less. I had a set for almost 3 years in my first studio condo and they were perfect for a small environment.

If you want to build a better audio system over time, then those M-Audio AV40 monitors are a great way to start. They'll sound great now and you can add a subwoofer when money permits.
 
Back
Top