Gonna pull the trigger this week...How's it look?

evilcartman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,

I'm submitting this for the [H]'s approval. I've had the upgrade itch for while now but I've been procrastinating in ordering the parts. I've decided to say "Screw it" and finally pull the trigger. My Shuttle has served me well for the past few years but it's struggling to keep up nowadays. I love Oblivion but I'm getting tired of either crappy performance @ 1280 x 1024 or decent performance with crappy visuals. I figure with the slew of potential great games around the corner I'll need to upgrade sooner or later if I really want to enjoy them. Plus, I'm out of college now so dorm room space isn't in the picture anymore...being in college was one of the factors in putting together a Shuttle for my previous build.

I've done my research and I'm pretty set on what I'm looking for. Most is going to come from Newegg, the case will be from Performance-PC's (because I wanted the windowed side-panel), and the 8800GTS will probably come from ClubIT because it's one of the best prices I've found. I will be bringing over my keyboard/mouse combo (the MX700 combo) which still works fine and I also don't need a monitor either. I'm using a 17" Samsung that's still solid, though it's showing it's age, and a Dell P1110 (Sony Trinitron) CRT. Somewhere down the line I'll most likely ugrade to a 24" widescreen (Dell 2407 perhaps??) but for now I'll stick with what I have because, frankly, I don't have the cash right now to spend on a good LCD.

Lian Li PC-7B PLUS II
= $105

MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i = $110

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 = $380

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W Power Supply - Retail = $160

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 = $221.00

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK - Retail = $185

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA= $90

NEC 18X DVD±R DVD Burner 7170A-0B = $31

VANTEC SF8025L 80mm Case Fan - Retail = $8 (top blowhole)

Subtotal = $1,290

I think it looks like it'll be a solid rig for under $1,300. I'd love to be able to spend more on it but I'm on a somewhat tight budget right now. What I spec'ed above should be easily do-able for me but anything more might be tough.

How does everything look? I've done my research but I wanted to see if there are any glaring incompatabilities with this setup. Sorry for the rambling...lol. It's been over 2 (3 perhaps???.....can't remember) years since I last built a computer so I'm really looking forward to this!! :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Looks good. Theres a nice thread on that board in the mobo section.

Agreed, PSU may be a bit overkill for this rig....but...Its never a bad idea to invest in a quality PSU. Solid setup IMO.

Back