Dimmy

Gawd
i currently have

AMD X3 730 @ 3.4GHZ
8GB DDR#
MSI 790fx-gd70
XFX 4850 1GB Xfire

i was thinking of getting a 680, wanna go single card setup
maybe get another 680 a year from now or something, by then ill be on a intel setup
but anyways, will my processor be a bottle neck?

I think it's important to ask what your monitor resolution is before we get all gun hoe on if he's CPU limited or not.

Does that CPU limit the overall capacity of the 680 - Yes - but he may not be at a resolution where the overall capacity of the 680 applies.

OP, if you are at a lower resolution, say 1080p, the new 670 coming out may be a good fit for you. Because of the CPU, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between 680 and 670.

what would you guys suggest for a nvidia card then?

You're thinking backwards. You're supposed to plan for the future, not fall short to the past.

Get the best card you can, do not let your old processor limit your choice. After you get the card, then concentrate on making your system fit the card.

You're thinking backwards. You're supposed to plan for the future, not fall short to the past.

Get the best card you can, do not let your old processor limit your choice. After you get the card, then concentrate on making your system fit the card.

Exactly. I don't understand these people who say 'get a lower end card, you wont see the difference!' as if that will always be the case. If you have ANY inclination to upgrade to a better CPU or display later, it is very much so worth it to get the best GPU you can in your budget.

well i play at 1080 i don't plan on going any higher until i build a new system and get a 3 monitor setup
so far the verdict is 680/670

Kinda depends on what you want. So a 680 will be all kinds of CPU limited there. However if your plan is a new CPU fairly soon after the GPU, then maybe get a better GPU. On the other hand, if you want to save some money, a GTX 560 Ti works real well and is much cheaper. While a 680 is a very fun toy, it is also expensive.

So if the idea is "Huge card now, huge processor soon," then good deal. However if money is limited then maybe get a lesser card.

Kinda depends on what you want. So a 680 will be all kinds of CPU limited there. However if your plan is a new CPU fairly soon after the GPU, then maybe get a better GPU. On the other hand, if you want to save some money, a GTX 560 Ti works real well and is much cheaper. While a 680 is a very fun toy, it is also expensive.

So if the idea is "Huge card now, huge processor soon," then good deal. However if money is limited then maybe get a lesser card.

I didn't see him mention budget at all.

Asking which card would be best is a totally different question from what card is the best value or what is the best card I can get for X price.

Just because his CPU is a "bottleneck" does not mean the 680 won't perform better than a 560 in a lot of case and even if it isn't, it certainly won't perform worse.

I realize that, however based on his system I am guessing he may not be a person with extremely high computer budgets. I wouldn't want to see him blow $500 on a card and then be able to buy nothing else for two years.

If you plan on getting a new CPU in the near future then get the 680 or 670. You'll just be CPU limited til you upgrade.

:shrug: for a bit more than the price of a 680 you could buy an i5 + mobo + 7870 if your near a microcenter. Overclock the crap out of the 7870 and the i5. Then if you still feel the need to upgrade next year, get whatever the fastest card available is. Multi-card setups are more trouble than they are worth unless you are wanting to run eyefinity resolutions.

Could probably even sell your old mb/cpu to take away a bit of the wallet sting.

Last edited:
I wouldnt jump anything. Best deal in video card right now is $219 7850 with free dirt 3 game.

Price/Performance is out of this world IMO...guys are getting 50% overclocks on air!!

Back