• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Golden gate

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
11,760
Who's updated? What are your experiences? I'm holding off for now. I have a MacBook Air M1 16GB/512GB model. Should handle it fine but I like to wait a minor release bump before getting the next OS. I also read that I have to download 17GB for Apple Intelligence - something that I have no interest in using. Boo.

Kind of wild given how storage is at a premium that this isn't optional. Also, I think that for the longest time, Apple sold 128GB models, so half of your hard drive (all combined I think it was 42GB in size?) goes to just the OS.

Otherwise it looks like a more polished Tahoe, so I'll eventually be getting it.
 
we blocked it at work until we can figure out which apps we're losing and what all got broken...

good call, they always break something.
yeah, that should be optional. we have a lot of units that are only 256GB and thats a pretty big chunk to lose. 128GB models became an issue for me a couple updates ago, had several that i could never upgrade due to "system" using so much space.
 
Updated 2 Macs so far. Didn't notice a difference except for the missing knob to turn Apple AI off.
 
the missing knob to turn Apple AI off.
Boooo. Another reason I'm skittish about updating. But I honestly don't expect Apple to relent. The only time they relent is when it's increasing customer costs (relenting to the "new" DRAM prices - what's the over/under that if prices actually go down, Apple will lower the prices accordingly? :D )
 
Boooo. Another reason I'm skittish about updating. But I honestly don't expect Apple to relent. The only time they relent is when it's increasing customer costs (relenting to the "new" DRAM prices - what's the over/under that if prices actually go down, Apple will lower the prices accordingly? :D )
You don't have to use Apple's AI features, except that you can optionally ask Siri in the search shortcut (Cmd-Space).

Golden Gate is really the modern-day Snow Leopard; outside of Siri AI, it's more of a tune-up than a revision. It runs just fine on M1 systems! With that said, I won't be surprised if this or next year's OS is the last update you get, since Apple typically phases out support for Mac models after six to seven years.
 
It's still taking up disk space, cannot be relocated from the boot drive and probably uses background CPU, too.
Drive space yes, background CPU not noticeably. Golden Gate actually improves the experience on the Neo... although 256GB owners are going to balk at the impact on their storage. I'm hoping the next-gen Neo starts at 512GB.
 
I only updated from Sequoia because as it turns out, the Studio Display XDR only runs at 60 Hz on an M4 Mac mini until you update, the expectation with that monitor being that you're running at least Tahoe (which I intentionally skipped). Dunno why it did that when my Inzone M9 will happily run at 4K 120 Hz HDR on Sequoia when I tested it there.

Thus far, I've mainly noticed that I had to give up another 28 GB of limited SSD space (it's a base M4 mini, 256 GB SSD and all) for friggin' Apple Intelligence that I never asked for, Autodesk SketchBook started just hanging upon launch (never mind that Rosetta shouldn't be working any worse in this version once it's reinstalled), and not much else aside from the UI changes that started with Tahoe.

Well, okay, there's also the unexpected frustration of trying to drag CLIP STUDIO PAINT 1.32 to a second monitor, which just wasn't possible without using Mission Control to do it. Don't know why, most Mac apps have a "Move to (external display" option in their menus now, but not this one. Maybe it'd be less of a problem if I just paid to update to the latest version, but even old CSP still does what I need it to do - why spend the extra dosh?

Other than all of that, I haven't noticed too much of a difference in day-to-day use. Perhaps I just need to use the Mac mini more in place of my usual Windows desktop before I witness all the usual issues everyone's been complaining about, particularly with regard to Mission Control being super-janky right now.
 
My GG install is 16.5 GB bigger than my 26.6.2 install, presumably mostly due to not being able to turn AI off anymore.

Not amused.
 
Back
Top