Going with a 2060...Well crap...

• Thread starter Deleted member 126051
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 126051

Well, noted this evening that the fan on my old 970 went tits up.

And trying to get a replacement fan out of EVGA...

Right now my cash is limited.
I also need a card that can handle 3x Display Port (See "Mo Money Mo Money Mo Money!")
And my "cheap" options are all things like a 1060 or a 1050.
From there, the price doubles

So I could spend $350 on a 1070.
Or I could spend $350 on a 2060.
Either way, it's mainly a wash.

So I opted for the 2060.

Didn't really want to be spending money like this right now.
My brother's out of work, so I'm the only one paying bills at the moment.

If you have a compatible AIO sitting around, you could always buy a Kraken G12 and go that route to buy time for $30

If you have a compatible AIO sitting around, you could always buy a Kraken G12 and go that route to buy time for $30

The problem is my card is one of the FTW+ Card.
I've contacted EVGA and various AIO manufacturers in the past about compatibility and the best they do is say "no information".
Generally this means "We haven't done testing and it probably doesn't fit right."

I know the feeling. Last year I accidentally broke a fin on my AMD 7870's fan and decided that I could use an upgrade. I did later fix the video card by replacing the fan with one from amazon for about $10.

IMO if you can buy a 2060 and not have to sell it a month later on CL you're doing just fine :cool:

IMO if you can buy a 2060 and not have to sell it a month later on CL you're doing just fine :cool:

The problem is, it brings me a LOT closer to "living paycheck to paycheck" than I wanted.

Reactions: Dan
like this
The problem is, it brings me a LOT closer to "living paycheck to paycheck" than I wanted.

So wait a couple months without gaming, save money, then buy it? Your health and nutrition are more important than gaming. Also, unless you have some form of limitation, parks, beaches, mountains... Are all free entertainment. Do that while you save money. It's all about priorities, really. My advice: if at all possible, always have a fund for a rainy day.

Is it the double Slot fan design? If so, you can just take off the housing and zip tie a couple of high pressure 92mm or 120mm fans to it, probably cooler better anyway.

I guess old man over here says just save for the card and not one that will work a ok upgrade. Its not a good time for gpu's

So wait a couple months without gaming, save money, then buy it? Your health and nutrition are more important than gaming. Also, unless you have some form of limitation, parks, beaches, mountains... Are all free entertainment. Do that while you save money. It's all about priorities, really. My advice: if at all possible, always have a fund for a rainy day.

The problem is that I can't really have my work PC burning the video card out...

I'm not TERRIBLY disappointed.

But it's always little confluences of events like this, consuming free cash, that make me a bit pissy.
The "Surprise! Extra expenses!" doesn't interact well with my "Cheapshit" gene.

I guess old man over here says just save for the card and not one that will work a ok upgrade. Its not a good time for gpu's

If you mean save for a 2070 or 2080? NOT going to happen. I simply refuse to pay that much for a video card (did I mention I'm a genetic cheapskate). And I don't game enough to justify that kind of cost.

If you mean save for a 2070 or 2080? NOT going to happen. I simply refuse to pay that much for a video card (did I mention I'm a genetic cheapskate). And I don't game enough to justify that kind of cost.
No, I meant save for a possibly better buyers market. With sales numbers lower then what they want given time all the people that dont care about price will be out of the market and that leaves people that they will have to aim products at for them to buy. Who knows the 1660 may be able to overclock well and provide you with a better option.. or price reductions on Vega 56/74

No, I meant save for a possibly better buyers market. With sales numbers lower then what they want given time all the people that dont care about price will be out of the market and that leaves people that they will have to aim products at for them to buy. Who knows the 1660 may be able to overclock well and provide you with a better option.. or price reductions on Vega 56/74

My problem is, I've got a card running without a fan right now and I'm unsure of how long it's going to last.
Sooo...

The "Surprise! Extra expenses!" doesn't interact well with my "Cheapshit" gene.

I get that. 2 months ago my heater stopped working. $1000 of service, fixes and a couple replacements, like the secondary capacitor. 3 days ago, it broke again. The main capacitor decided to die this time. Another several hundred bucks. Just bad luck and worse timing. I'm just glad the compressor is ok, that's even more expensive to replace.

Thankfully my rainy day fund has grown enough to take care of it without "feeling" it too much. But yeah, it's annoying when this kind of stuff happens. If you don't need the absolute best, get a rx570 for dirt cheap to get you going @1080p for a while.

What's the model/part no. of the EVGA card? Surely there's got to be a 3rd party replacement fan kit on Amazon/eBay. I just went through this, but with an eBay purchased GTX 1070. Arrived with a dead fan, and of course the OEM was no help. (in fact, I didn't even bother with them)

The problem is my card is one of the FTW+ Card.
I've contacted EVGA and various AIO manufacturers in the past about compatibility and the best they do is say "no information".
Generally this means "We haven't done testing and it probably doesn't fit right."

Based on an image search of the PCB, the G12 fan is on the side opposite of where the VRMs are located, so you wouldn't have active cooling on the VRMs, but I'll bet it would fit fine. I wonder how hot those VRMs run because the standard cooler you have is cooling them by a fan that is blowing through a thick array of heated fins.

Oh boy.

Got myself a bonus Windows reinstall!

I was running Windows 10E LTSB (2015).

Guess which version of windows DOESN'T support the card!

Ah well. 8 hours later. Back up and running.
Having weirdness with my MyBookLive.
But it's not CRITICAL that I get that up just yet.

I have a Kraken G10 that I used on my 970 SSC if you want to try it out and see if it fits.
(I used an H90 with it)

Okay, last thing I did this morning was leave a Distributed.net client up and banging away at RC5-72 at 3AM.
15 horus later, it's banged out about 42Kkeys. The old 970 was overclocked and still only put out about 32Kkeys.

Temps look good.

I don't game a hell of a lot. But pretty much everything in my library is liking the performance boost.
And that's with running the RC5 stuff in the background.

If you aren't buying a fire sale RX570 or RX580 just wait until the 1060 replacement is out and then see what happens with prices. With the stockholders unhappy with NVIDIA somethings got to give and I see a price war with anything 2070 down about to happen. As far as when it was a good time to buy that was last summer for NVIDIA cards right after the RTX announcement for Pascals.

Back