Going to live in FL - need COMPLETE control over 2 computers at 2 diff. houses - How?

Hey there...I am going to be moving to Florida and that means I'll be leaving a computer at my home and I won't be able to help my sister fight off their viruses that they seem to get a lot of...

Well I want COMPLETE control over my 2nd computer at home and control over my sisters computer so I can help them out with any problems...

I have no idea how I would go about doing this...does anyone know what I would need and explain how I would set it up???

THANX
C'YA :cool:

Looks perfect...and it's a very tiny program too...this should be perfect...now I can fix her computer and config stuff on my computer at home while I'm having fun at Disney...thanx...

Hmmm....well just to spread the word, I was refered to by someone else about a prog named TightVNC...very similar to RealVNC but is opensource and has more features and stuff...just thought I'd spread the word about it...;)

in addition to the vnc solutions, i would also include using a vpn appliance at each location (i use linksys's BEfSX41). use a software app (like ssh sentinel - the older free version can be found on university sites with a google search), or you can use the vpn units to connect directly to each other.

that way you won't be opening any common vnc app-related ports at your house's router, and can use an encrypted connection to get local machine files with the vpn and then use vnc to logon directly and make changes to the operating system.

btw: make sure you have permissions set in IIS to allow restarting the computer from network logon.

good luck!

If they are running Pro, and you didn't specify, XP already comes with remote desktop and if they are running home, it comes with Remote Assistance (So Does Pro BTW) which is a little harder, as they have to allow you to do any work on their machine.

PTNL said:
in addition to the vnc solutions, i would also include using a vpn appliance at each location (i use linksys's BEfSX41).
WHOW!!! Have you seen the PRICE on these things??? I'd need 3 of em...i think...

All my clients that are local have RealVNC installed, if they ever have a problem they fire it up and give me a call. It works great, is relatively fast providing both the client and host have a reasonably high speed connection.

I use an ssh tunnel (cygwin\openssh) & tightVNC ;)
along with an IP restriction rule for that port on the target computer's software firewall
(since I only access them from this IP)

Back