Going to build in January, have a question

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
I am going to do a complete rebuild in January and don't forsee any intel processors coming out between now and then, so I thought I would go ahead and ask. The budget for my build is max around $2700ish and I am trying to decide what platform I want.

If I go with a 4930K, I am going to be using a motherboard in which the next extreme desktop will not work in. If I go with a 4770K, I will be using a motherboard the next midrange desktop processors will not work in. So it sounds like either one will get me a motherboard with no real upgrade path. However, this doesn't really bother me. When I built my current computer in 2007, I stuck with the same processor I originally installed and I will probably do the same with my new build. Having said that, I was thinking if I will be running my new computer for another 4-6 years, it may be worthwhile to go ahead and get the 4930K so I could be more future proof with 6 cores. I am going to want to play BF4 at as high performance as possible and from reading about frostbite 2, it looks like it really utilizes multiple cores well. I assume the same will be true for frostbite 3.

So do you think given my scenario a 4930K would be a good choice?

Last edited:
Don't worry about futureproofing. Scale back the build if necessary and buy upgrades as needed. A cpu and motherboard doesn't cost all that much and you can always sell the old equipment to recoup some of the cost.

IF you are going to plan on keeping the platform for ~4+ years, then I would go ahead and spring for a hexcore since you can fit into your budget pretty well..You should be able to get a 3930/4930, MB and 16GB of ram for ~$1000-1150..You could easily do a 6 core CPU, 2011 MB, 16GB of ram, 512GB SSD, 3TB HD, 850-1KW PSU, $150 case, and a $650 GPU for ~$2575..

This is going on the high side for a PSU, along with the SSD and HD pricing..With some sales, you could easily shave $200 off the rough price, and use that to go with a 27" 1440P LCD from eBay..Should be quite the rig!!

I actually already have a qnix 1440p already that I will be using.

My advice after doing well over 100 builds over many years:
Always buy mainstream and never sink too much into one build. Far better to upgrade more often, inexpensively, than sink tons of cash into any one build that's obsolete as soon as it's built. This is assuming you don't have unlimited funds, which you don't, or else you wouldn't need to ask the question.
I would die if I had to keep stuff for 4 years or longer. I've never, ever used an "upgrade path" with a CPU/mobo. The two are released hand in hand, along with new features. What's nice is if you get to keep memory, coolers and some other stuff. SB > HW was nice because the only things to swap are CPU/Memory.

Go mainstream, and do it often...

That's said, sounds like Skylake is the one to have after Haswell (skip Broadwell.) But I guess we'll see. I want DDR4 prices to have come down before I buy.

Always buy mainstream and never sink too much into one build. Far better to upgrade more often, inexpensively, than sink tons of cash into any one build that's obsolete as soon as it's built. This is assuming you don't have unlimited funds, which you don't, or else you wouldn't need to ask the question.
I would die if I had to keep stuff for 4 years or longer. I've never, ever used an "upgrade path" with a CPU/mobo. The two are released hand in hand, along with new features. What's nice is if you get to keep memory, coolers and some other stuff. SB > HW was nice because the only things to swap are CPU/Memory.

That's said, sounds like Skylake is the one to have after Haswell (skip Broadwell.) But I guess we'll see. I want DDR4 prices to have come down before I buy.
I don't think there would be much for me to upgrade if I build early next year. I would be at an end of the road motherboard with end of the road RAM standard. I would need to do a rebuild.

Well that applied for times when CPUs speed up 2x per 3 years. Now I plan a build that would last me 5 years, with possible upgrade after a year for 6 core CPU from a second hand market.

The scary stuff is, things are still playable on my overclocked E7200, and it's only on 3.2 GHz.

I guess it's tablet times, Intel concentrated on tablets, and while low wattage CPUs are a must for high number of cores, Intel made trap for itself by using turbo, and having high IPC and high frequency simultaneously.

As a result some people with old X58 -E CPUs, don't have upgrade even now, because they are at roughly the same speed, with theirs CPU with great silicon as they would be when they would upgrade.

Honestly I would hold off on IVY-e unless they have new revisions out by then, They are relatively low OCers, and as with haswell its a real lottery for good OCing chips if you want to go that way. its hard to get past 4.5 on either 4xx0x chips from what i have gathered.
if you want to OC, you are better off with sandy-e find a descent clocker second hand. even 3960x can be found for 600$

Given the opportunity I'd wait for haswell-e, My pc was from 06 and dead as dirt though

Best guess of Intel release schedule:

Haswell Refresh - July
Haswell-E - September
Skylake - February 15

Go with IB-E now unless you want to wait for Haswell-E.

I just purchased my i7 3930K hexacore a week prior to IVB-E knowing IVB-E was going to be a somewhat disappointment 2 years in the waiting. You know what? I am not disappointed in the slightest. Perhaps only in the fact that it took nearly $1,000 on two components (MOBO+CPU) to get a system that I believe Intel should already be pushing out to the mainstream high-end sector by now. Nicely done Intel, you milked another, but at the same time for what I personally do the hexacores, hyperthreading, and jump from an ancient Core2Quad (Q9550) 5 year old system was noticeable.

The way I look at it, if like you, you've had that system in your signature for as long as I have (4-5 years) you know that chip could last. After running on a i7 3930K for a month now I have full faith I could easily stretch this system out another 5 years and probably will just because IVB-E is the only upgrade path w/o having to throw down another grand for a Haswell-E MOBO/CPU. At the same time you suffer from some newer features by going the Extreme route rather than the high-end mainstream part out now (Haswell i7 4770K).

In the end it's up to you and what you plan to use the system for. The i7 3930/4930K CPU's will DEFINITELY future proof you for a long time to come. Relatively easy to overclock, leaps ahead of the Core2 series, 6 cores, hyperthreading, 40 lanes of PCIe 2.0/3.0 (this part is annoyingly fuzzy until Haswell-E), and with the future being more multi-threaded it'll show its worth even more so as the years go by.

On the other hand going for the higher-end mainstream Core i7 parts (3770/4770K) isn't bad either and you save a ton of money (easily $300). I had the money so I went for the Extreme, you look like you have the money so to me I say go hexacore. I had that sinking regret at first, but thinking the long game I now am content. January is the perfect time to do this. Probably will get some good deals from Nov-Jan with the holidays and if you can afford to start buying what you can piece by piece while it's happening. The earlier you buy it the better just for the sake of not having as many regrets when the bombshell Haswell-E drops in Sep. 2014 lol.

I would just go with what you need now and worst comes to worst you sell the parts later

I know Haswell-E would be good, but the DDR4 RAM that it is going to require is going to be really expensive.

that trick I do with cars, I don't know that's possible today with computers.

New gpu's and cpu's don't offer enough performance increase like before.

Best guess of Intel release schedule:

Haswell Refresh - July
Haswell-E - September
Skylake - February 15

Go with IB-E now unless you want to wait for Haswell-E.

I actually heard it might be as early as Q2 2014
and ddr4 prices are expected to stabalize by 2015

I heard Haswell-E would be available in H1 2015. And DDR4 would have slow release tempo.

Actually I looked and Micron said it would release DDR4 from 1866 to 2400 MHz, so basically DDR3 speeds. I didn't find newest estimation, things might change with destruction of 1/2 of Hynix factory. But a lot of microdevices simply don't have DDR4 controler, and DDR4 prices are not reasonable for cheap tablets. Thus DDR4 would go mainly into servers where low power consumption and higher throughput matters. Intel prototype was here on recent conference, that's correct. However, a lot of Intel's engineers are working on tablets and mobile stuff, and while I doubt they would have worse team on Intel's next flagship, which is related to next server architecture, I'd expect a bit slow down. (Then again moving a lot of people into other field might gave a breathing room to few psychos and they might surprise.)

Are there any Haswell-E, or Xeon based on Haswell-E, benchmarks?

If the consoles have 8 cpu cores, shouldn't any new build have the same to ensure compatibility. Granted they are weak cores, but if the games are otimized for more than 4 threads it seems to be any quad core could lag.

Shouldn't we wait and see...

Rumor has it that Haswell-E will have either a 8 or 12 core CPU by the time it comes out. The reason that Intel keeps putting out "Spare Change" as high end parts is because AMD has nothing to counter it with.

If the consoles have 8 cpu cores, shouldn't any new build have the same to ensure compatibility. Granted they are weak cores, but if the games are otimized for more than 4 threads it seems to be any quad core could lag.
Actually they are using 6 cores for gaming. 2 cores are reserved for Facebook. (and other stuff)

Rumor has it that Haswell-E will have either a 8 or 12 core CPU by the time it comes out.
If Haswell-E would be still 22 nm, Intel can't put 10 cores into it. What I seen was 6-8 cores.

That's 22 nm Ivy-EP. It's low voltage high end CPU for you gotta be kidding price. 8x higher than 4820K to be more exact.

Actually they are using 6 cores for gaming. 2 cores are reserved for Facebook. (and other stuff)

If Haswell-E would be still 22 nm, Intel can't put 10 cores into it. What I seen was 6-8 cores.

This. Broadwell/Skylake before you see more than 8 cores at best.

The reason that Intel keeps putting out "Spare Change" as high end parts is because AMD has nothing to counter it with.

AMD's superiority in the Athlon 64 days didn't cause Intel to lower their prices or rush R&D to replace the Pentium 4. AMD's inferiority now isn't what's driving them to lower power consumption rather than increase performance.

AMD is too small to matter to Intel. The market is what matters, and right now there's a huge market for low-power devices.

Back