Going to build a new computer, budget $1500, suggestions welcome.

unfortunateson

Limp Gawd
My computer is about 5 years old, I would like to build a new one. I have $1500 dollars to do so, and would like suggestions on the best hardware i could get for the price, and where to get the parts online. I already have a new monitor.

I play games occasionally, but mainly use my computer for audio recording/processing applications that are really cpu intensive. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I already have my cd drives and sound card. I just threw this together:

cpuchart.jpg

Are those good combinations? I'm not sure if the case and psu are adequate, either... Advice?

Probably the case/ PSU combo for $45 means that neither the case NOR the PSU are of the greatest quality..
Also, you may want to look into getting the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300 GB (SATA 150) with 16 MB Cache for $130 instead of that 8 MB cache seagate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144421

I have been using 2x Maxtor DM10 16 MB cache for a couple of months now (ATA 133 version) and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood)

I guess that eVGA 7800 GT + Mobo are a good deal, the mobo doesn't look all that great..? What are the OCing options on it?

The processor, video card and motherboard are all good, but I'd change the RAM to some OCZ platinum. Also, get a better case/PSU. The Centurion 5 is a really nice case, and a PSU from Fortron will be good.

unfortunateson said:
My computer is about 5 years old, I would like to build a new one. I have $1500 dollars to do so, and would like suggestions on the best hardware i could get for the price, and where to get the parts online. I already have a new monitor.

I play games occasionally, but mainly use my computer for audio recording/processing applications that are really cpu intensive. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

i suggest this:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1728299&WishListTitle=PCPC

comes up to $1,495.47 after tax and shipping when you add to cart

1x newegg glossy logo sticker!!!
1x antec p180 case
1x evga nforce4 sli motherboard
1x evga 7800gt video card
1x 430w seasonic s12 power supply
1x 3800+ athlon 64 x2 cpu
1x 2gb (2x1gb) g.skill (2-3-2-5) pc3200 ram
1x 300gb maxtor dm10 sata drive
1x thermalright xp-120 heatsink

EDIT: added pc specs to post

3700+ San Diego - $235
DFI NF4 Ultra-D - $129
2Gb Crucial Ballistix - $296
Leadtek Extreme 7800 GT - $329
Hitachi T7K250 250Gb SATA - $106
Enermax EG565P-VE FMA - $88
Antec P180 - $119
Corsair CWC100-1000 Cool Water Cooling Kit - $189

Total: $1491

Quiet, with great overclocking potential.

He said he doesn't game much and you tell him to get a 7800GT, that's funny.

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ = $329
Asus A8N-SLI = $138
G.Skill Extreme 2X1GB = $224.83
Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB = $99.99
BenQ DVD Burner w/ Lightscrib = $56.99
SB X-Fi Elite = $405
eVGA 6600GT = $137.99
Cooler Master Centurion 5 = $57.98
Antec Truepower II = $76.98
Total = $1526.76 after MIR's
I picked the super expensive sound card because you said you do a lot of sound encoding. This lead me to believe you are a musician that likes to mix, edit, and arrange his own music. You can save money by getting a cheaper soundcard if I pegged you wrong.

*EDIT*
I also picked the Asus board because of it's stability and the ability to add another video card later if you need to.

Thanks for the list, heero, it looks very good, although ill be needing 2 300gb hard drives, and i think another on that list would go over the limit.

When looking at the memory, the only similar priced OCZ memory was the value line. The platinum line is over what i would like to pay. Is Crucial not good for its price?

I have also updated my list:

cpuchart2.jpg

so the total is $1,401.92 after subtracting $90 in rebates from the harddrives, not including shipping. Thoughts?,

can you tell us the site you are doing your shopping on?

you might want to look at other powersupplies, the one you listed has 20 pin main when you want 24.

EDIT: the crucial is fine, just a little overpriced..

Crucial RAM is just fine, in fact the Ballistix PC4000 series are the best 2x1Gb kits that available in terms of overclocking and speed.

Unsure about your choice of power supplies (never heard of Diablo), but the rest of the system looks great.

Major_A said:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ = $329
Asus A8N-SLI = $138
G.Skill Extreme 2X1GB = $224.83
Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB = $99.99
BenQ DVD Burner w/ Lightscrib = $56.99
SB X-Fi Elite = $405
eVGA 6600GT = $137.99
Cooler Master Centurion 5 = $57.98
Antec Truepower II = $76.98
Total = $1526.76 after MIR's
I picked the super expensive sound card because you said you do a lot of sound encoding. This lead me to believe you are a musician that likes to mix, edit, and arrange his own music. You can save money by getting a cheaper soundcard if I pegged you wrong.

*EDIT*
I also picked the Asus board because of it's stability and the ability to add another video card later if you need to.

he listed a 7800gt in his preliminary specs so its safe to assume he wants one? he then said on his 2nd post he already has his "CD drives and sound card" so if im guilty of recommending him a part he doesnt need then you sir is guilty of not reading his posts and recommending him parts he doesnt want. how funny is that? :D

heero884 said:
he listed a 7800gt in his preliminary specs so its safe to assume he wants one? he then said on his 2nd post he already has his "CD drives and sound card" so if im guilty of recommending him a part he doesnt need then you sir is guilty of not reading his posts and recommending him parts he doesnt want. how funny is that? :D
As I was posting I guess he added that, I don't remember it being there while I was doing my recommendations.

Major_A said:

Well, i chose it to begin with...I am definitely going to game more after i get my new computer, and I also am going to need a multimonitor DVI setup in the near future.

Major_A said:

No problem, I already have a 16 channel I/O card (Echo Layla 3G) i use for audio projects. I am not really a fan of Creative's products, but I appreciate the suggestion.

heero884 said:
can you tell us the site you are doing your shopping on?

you might want to look at other powersupplies, the one you listed has 20 pin main when you want 24.

I am looking at Tigerdirect. My revised list:

revcpuchart.jpg

before shipping and before the $90 MIR.

And could somebody explain the difference between 20 and 24 pin power supplies? Is the one on my list good?

in a nutshell the 24 pin power supplies conform to a newer standard and since your motherboard has 24pins its best to get a power supply with the native 24pins instead of using a adapter to make it work.

EDIT: the coolmax you have listed is one of those power supplies with a 20 to 24 pin adapter. i would not recommend using it. although using the adapter can work, it can cause stability issues. since you are spending a chunk of change on this machine i think it would be worth while to spend a little bit more for a quality power supply.

I'm not sure if this is 20 or 24 pin, but it's a very nice PSU. You could also easily change your RAM to this and bring your mobo up to this.

thanks for all the suggestions, a little revision:

cpuchrtg.jpg

before SH and before $90 MIR.

I'm pretty sure that power supply is 24 pin.

And to those with an animosity of tigerdirect, please share why. I'd like to know reasons why newegg is better. Both places have similar prices.

i think ill stick with the Xion, in part due to the positive review you posted of it.

Regarding the stores, I only went to tigerdirect because their prices are generally on par or slightly lower than those found on newegg. After i get my order, ill be sure to respond with my thoughts about their service.

Thanks again for all the help :cool:

unfortunateson said:
i think ill stick with the Xion, in part due to the positive review you posted of it.

Regarding the stores, I only went to tigerdirect because their prices are generally on par or slightly lower than those found on newegg. After i get my order, ill be sure to respond with my thoughts about their service.

Thanks again for all the help :cool:

hmm maybe you should wait on ordering for more opinions between TD/newegg :)

newegg has a evga 7800gt video card + motherboard combo for 399 ;)

unfortunateson said:
true, but i really like asus motherboards, and i said "generally" :D

haha cool. we're all just making sure you dont regret your purchase at TD and that you get the most for your money :) anyhow be sure to tell us how your new system goes :cool:

totally agree, i think you could save a little money that could be used for better hardware, if you went with newegg over td, IMO

If you only play games occassionally why not spend a little less on the Video card and more on the cpu?

Well, if he's overclocking the 3800+ is probably the best choice. And he said he's going to start gaming more once he gets it..so...

I FINALLY received my order last night...

After 3 days of my order not being shipped, I finally called tigerdirect, but their lines were all automated and the status line did not even have the option to let me speak to a human. The next day I called the line to place an order, then when I finally reached a person, they gave me a number to the credit department (which was nowhere on the site) and I had to wait 25 minutes before somebody was on to authenticate my order.

I also ordered two SATA drives through newegg for overnight delivery a couple days ago, called their service line right when I ordered, was quickly able to speak to somebody, and my credit got cleared and the order shipped immediately. It sucks that I have to pay sales tax though, cause I live in CA.

I found newegg much better on order processing and customer support.

Back