Going past max voltage

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Is it bad for the chip? Other than the extra heat that would be produced... How far past the "max voltage" can you go?

regarding chip life (if you are talking about cpus), amd & intel have the voltage specs on their website(s). above the specified voltage window there is a little headroom, beyond that it's a gamble. anywhere from weeks/months to a couple of years.

I've been running my Q6700 at 1.56v for about a year at 3.8ghz and it was fine for all of that until recently I added a gtx470 over volted to 1.3v and it's become unstable. Max voltage for these chips is 1.55v.

I can't tell you if it's the added heat in the loop (alot!) or the chip is actually dying but I've had to dial it back to 3.75ghz.

That should hopefully give you some real world reference.

i forget what i did with 65nm c2d, but well over 1.5v, heck, i ran 1.475~1.5v 45nm E8400 for almost four years

I've been running my Q6700 at 1.56v for about a year at 3.8ghz and it was fine for all of that until recently I added a gtx470 over volted to 1.3v and it's become unstable. Max voltage for these chips is 1.55v.

I can't tell you if it's the added heat in the loop (alot!) or the chip is actually dying but I've had to dial it back to 3.75ghz.

That should hopefully give you some real world reference.

i forget what i did with 65nm c2d, but well over 1.5v, heck, i ran 1.475~1.5v 45nm E8400 for almost four years

obviously you guys have had some good luck with those chips as that is some pretty high volts running through them. however if i was in the market for either of these chips (q6700 or e8400), i wouldn't touch either with a barge pole (no offence to either of you).

i any case if you don't give a shit about resale, do what you like. just know there is a risk.

i any case if you don't give a shit about resale, do what you like. just know there is a risk.

It's part of overclocking. Albeit extreme but some people will push it pass the limit. If I had water cooling, I'd do the same thing.

Back