Going Passive?

Skrying

2[H]4U
:eek:

I'm thinking about swapping some parts around on a recent build and retooling for even more silence. The processor I'll be using is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e. This is a 2.6Ghz 45w part, so it shouldn't get to hot but it's plenty powerful for my goals. Maybe more important however is my motherboard and case selection. I'm using an Asus M3A78-EM and this is going inside a Silverstone SST-TJ08.

My main concern is space, really. I'm fairly confident a decent heatsink can keep the 5050e cool with a rear 120mm exhaust so close. However, the power supply could cause issues and then obviously just want to make sure the heatsink clears the northbridge heatsink. I'm mounting my hard drive on the floor of the case on rubber, so the floppy/hard drive cage is not a concern. Besides space is weight. I understand that passive means heavy, in reality, but I will do the needed steps to make this work as this system could be moving on a monthly basis most likely.

So, any recommendations will have my full attention. Thanks for your reply.

you can do passive with that processor..i have a be-2350 2.1ghz 45w 1.2v sat around 30C full load with stock cooler.. so at 2.6ghz passive id probably bet more in the 45-50C range as long as its not a continues load.. right now im doing 47C full load at 2.94ghz @ 1.38v with stock cooler w/ ambient around 28C as an idea of how much heat the brisbane really creates.. brisbane cores good up to 72C if i remember correctly..

Back