Going on vacation, need a new digital camera

Eidolon

Limp Gawd
Okay, so I'm going to Tokyo later this month and I'm looking for a small portable camera. Anything with 5 megapixels or higher would be preferable. I will be using it primarily for outdoor photography. What I'd like is something small enough to fit into a coat pocket, but still produce high quality stills.

A friend of mine recently bought a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2-Megapixel and seems happy with it. I'm looking for something around that size. I'm not too picky about what type of memory card is used and my price range is about $1000.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :D

One of the Canon Elphs would serve you nicely I would think if you want small and portable. Pocket sized is a good word for it too.
You could step-up to the G6 if you want something nicer, or go to a Digital Rebel if size doesn't matter :D

i wouldnt necesarrily go over 4-5 megapixels in the pocket size category, the sensors just arent good enough. They are too small, so you get really noisy pictures, negating any effect of a high megapixel.

I 2nd the canon elph range, A S400/S500 or something should serve you well. Spend the rest of the money on an extra battery (or two) and a large CF card (2x 1gb or something).

Small point & shoots just eat batteries for breakfast.

Well jeez, if you'r price range is a grand, I'd say go with a 300D and a few (inexpensive) lenses for your trip.

And, no,.....do NOT go with the F828 like your friend got. It's not really worth it.

Check out the Canon A95, sounds like it will fit your needs. It's well under your price range, so you can buy extra CF cards, addon lenses or whatever. If you wan something smaller, I second the Canon Elf line of cameras.

Thanks everybody. After having checked out your suggestions at a couple retailers in the area I've pretty much decided on the Canon A95. It seems like the best deal. I'll probably be picking one up tomorrow along with a few accessories. :D

Eidolon said:
Thanks everybody. After having checked out your suggestions at a couple retailers in the area I've pretty much decided on the Canon A95. It seems like the best deal. I'll probably be picking one up tomorrow along with a few accessories. :D

What kind of accessories? :D
I'm also going on a trip, so I'm looking into different possible digi-cams.

Back