Going INSANE trying to find the best Athlon XP Socket A heatsink

Impact9

[H]ard|Gawd
First off I know everyone gets sick of seeing these post. So sorry, I just can't seem to find a answer that is current. With all the AMD64 chips out the heatsink world is changing really fast. I'm down here running a XP 3000+ Socket A and I would love to find a killer heatsink that would work for me out of these newer models.

Water cooling isn't a option as I am in the UK right now and will be moving back to the US in a year.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Athlon 64 heatsink/fan units will not work on Socket A. The profile is totally different.

If you want an advanced Socket A heatsink/fan, there is only one name, IMO: Thermalright.
I would look at their SLK-900A unit, which uses all six clips on your socket. You can choose fans up to 92mm depending on the mounting clips. This way you can get a low-noise 92mm fan that will deliver the airflow of most 80mm fans. They are heavy units, many thin copper fins soldered to a solid copper base, and they have been rated tops by most review sites.

I'm running a Thermalright SLK-800 with an 80mm fan, and have been very happy with it. One note: if you're hamfisted or paranoid, get a copper shim for your Athlon XP processor. I'm not using one right now and am fine, but it does take a bit of pressure to get the heatsink on.

http://www.thermalright.com/

I agree Thermalright is the only way to go.. Any of their coolers would probably make you very happy.. My personal favorite is the SP97..

Thanks guys and great thread over there at Overclockers Forums Red_Dragon! :)

The only other suggestion I would make would be a Zalman 7000A, either the straight copper or the aluminum-copper hybrid. The hybrid is a little cheaper, is about 2 degrees warmer, and weighs a lot less. Anyway, both of these are great choices, and run really damn quiet. I've got the 7000Cu (the Intel version) for my 2.4c @ 3.2ghz, and it keeps things groovy. That said, I've had nothing but good times with Thermalright products (the 900A and 97) as well - they just don't already come with a 92mm fan like the Zalman.

-SEAL

Back