going from phenom I to an i3

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Changing my rig over from a and 785g Mobo and phenom ii to an h77 and an i3.
I been on this setup for so long and am really dreading a reinstall of windows
Can I get away with changing mobos and CPU and just using the same hard drives without a fresh install?
I don't have raid

Try it and see what happens. However, you forgot the most important part: What OS? :D

I've made several AMD<->Intel jumps with the same Win7 install without problems. Best to uninstall all drivers and related software before the swap.

Make sure your product key is tied to your Microsoft account. That way, when you try to activate, you can go through the process and activate through the changed hardware function.

OEM or retail Windows? :D

If you're using OEM you most likely will have to buy Windows again when you switch the motherboard.

Correct OEM is tied to the board.

Personally I'd reinstall windows and avoid any potential hassle. If its been that long, it might be time anyways. Assuming you have everything important backed up on other drives.

Just do a clean reinstall of windows. That is a huge generational jump in hardware. Save yourself from future headaches. You will more then likely need to buy a new licence. There is a guy in the FS forum selling cheap keys.

when my x58 motherboard died all i did was rebuild new AM4 setup and when i powered up windows did all the change ups all by itself and a couple reboots....NO issues at all! lol I was more than amazed a fresh install was NOT needed! But im using windows 10 if that maters

Back