Going From Dell 2407WFP to HP ZR24W... What Do You Think?

falconman515

Limp Gawd
My question is.... I had a Dell 2407WFP for about 4 years and it went out on me a few weeks ago, I have since tried to stomach a couple TN panels but after going Dell Ultrasharp then to a horrible TN panel its just not possible.

I am not to sure about the Dell U2410 plus regardless even if its better I don't want to spend the $160 more for the U2410 over the ZR24W and since my dell went out I don't have much confidence in these dell monitors (I'm sure they are great but only having a $700 monitor for not even 4 years and then bam...dead...it puts a bitter taste in your mouth to ever buy the same type make and model again).

So my question is going from the 2407WFP to the ZR24W will it be nicer? better picture? is the IPS better than what the 2407 panel was? I was Very pleased with the 2407 so will going to this ZR24W be even nicer?

Thanks so much, I think I am pretty much sold on the HP ZR24W for the $409 price tag at amazon but just want to know if anyone out there knows the differences in the 2 monitors and will I be just as pleased with his HP as I was with the Dell (till it took crap of course)?

Thanks so much for all your feedback guys! :)

The 2407WFP used an S-PVA or AMVA (refer to the Dell Lottery, see 2407WFP)

The 2407WFP-HC used an S-PVA strictly, it suffered from ghosting etc.

Anyways will you notice a difference in quality, and is it worth it...
You will. And Yes.

The 2407WFP used an S-PVA or AMVA (refer to the Dell Lottery, see 2407WFP)

The 2407WFP-HC used an S-PVA strictly, it suffered from ghosting etc.

Anyways will you notice a difference in quality, and is it worth it...
You will. And Yes.

So the IPS panel is a lot better than the PVA then huh?

Its nice to hear I will see a difference in quality from my old 2407 dell.

What are the main differences between the 2 that make the HP better?

So the IPS panel is a lot better than the PVA then huh?

Its nice to hear I will see a difference in quality from my old 2407 dell.

What are the main differences between the 2 that make the HP better?

The difference in quality is not that great but it will be noticeable.

Okay the HP uses an IPS panel (eIPS to be exact, which is basically a numbed down eIPS)
This allows for slightly better viewing angles then the VA (AMVA/S-PVA) found on the 2407WFP's.* but still not offer the viewing angles of say an S-IPS. See here to see some pictures I took of my eIPS Dell U2211H so can you see the viewing angles, scroll down to viewing angles.
Color reproduction should be the same, if not with a slight edge on part of the HP.
Image quality overall should be pretty good on the ZR24W.

I've seen both the 2407WFP (used in school, not sure if it uses AMVA or S-PVA)/HP ZR24W (tested at a local electronics store 1 month ago), the HP ZR24W had better viewing angles, and overall looked sharper and clearer. The 2407WFP did however have better blacks, but does suffer slightly from black crush (not able to display black properly)

My question is.... I had a Dell 2407WFP for about 4 years and it went out on me a few weeks ago, I have since tried to stomach a couple TN panels but after going Dell Ultrasharp then to a horrible TN panel its just not possible.

I am not to sure about the Dell U2410 plus regardless even if its better I don't want to spend the $160 more for the U2410 over the ZR24W and since my dell went out I don't have much confidence in these dell monitors (I'm sure they are great but only having a $700 monitor for not even 4 years and then bam...dead...it puts a bitter taste in your mouth to ever buy the same type make and model again).

So my question is going from the 2407WFP to the ZR24W will it be nicer? better picture? is the IPS better than what the 2407 panel was? I was Very pleased with the 2407 so will going to this ZR24W be even nicer?

Thanks so much, I think I am pretty much sold on the HP ZR24W for the $409 price tag at amazon but just want to know if anyone out there knows the differences in the 2 monitors and will I be just as pleased with his HP as I was with the Dell (till it took crap of course)?

Thanks so much for all your feedback guys! :)

I got my Hp from ebay cheaper, so look there, $388 shipped. I also had a PVA panel monitor before this, the Benq FP241W. I had the 2 side by side, colors were different, I give the edge to the HP. Not to mention its faster then my Benq was. The Benq did have slightly deeper blacks, but I doubt you are going to notice it unless you have something else to compare. Make sure you get hardware calibration of some sort, the HP needs it.

I got my Hp from ebay cheaper, so look there, $388 shipped. I also had a PVA panel monitor before this, the Benq FP241W. I had the 2 side by side, colors were different, I give the edge to the HP. Not to mention its faster then my Benq was. The Benq did have slightly deeper blacks, but I doubt you are going to notice it unless you have something else to compare. Make sure you get hardware calibration of some sort, the HP needs it.

So the HP isn't that great out of the box? I don't plan on dropping anymore money on any kind of calibration software, I looked through the main ZR24W thread and found alot of good posts on there settings and I am hoping that if I get my settings around where they put theirs I should have a good looking picture.

I am not a into the most Perfect color and Perfect contrast Perfect Etc. But I do want to go with an IPS panel and spend the extra money for one thing I am coming from a 2407WFP and to go to a cheap TN panel is hell. I have tried a Samsung and Asus TN 24" and they are horrible compared to my old Dell.

Just trying to get something close to what the 2407WFP was if not better in the $400 range and it looks like the HP is really the only single monitor that fits those categories and is in that price range

And as far as finding it cheaper around $388... I would rather go with $409 (21$ Diff.) and get it from amazon cause there return policy is superb compared to anyone else's when it comes to replacements and if I get a bad pixel or something its replaced no questions asked and I don't even have to send my back to get a new one they will send one right away and I just send back the bad one within 30 days. All in all its worth the extra 20 bucks for the piece of mind.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I look forward to all the feedback I can get.

So all in all it looks like I will be very pleased with my purchase and the upgrade from the 2407!!! :D

So the HP isn't that great out of the box? I don't plan on dropping anymore money on any kind of calibration software, I looked through the main ZR24W thread and found alot of good posts on there settings and I am hoping that if I get my settings around where they put theirs I should have a good looking picture.

I am not a into the most Perfect color and Perfect contrast Perfect Etc. But I do want to go with an IPS panel and spend the extra money for one thing I am coming from a 2407WFP and to go to a cheap TN panel is hell. I have tried a Samsung and Asus TN 24" and they are horrible compared to my old Dell.

Just trying to get something close to what the 2407WFP was if not better in the $400 range and it looks like the HP is really the only single monitor that fits those categories and is in that price range

And as far as finding it cheaper around $388... I would rather go with $409 (21$ Diff.) and get it from amazon cause there return policy is superb compared to anyone else's when it comes to replacements and if I get a bad pixel or something its replaced no questions asked and I don't even have to send my back to get a new one they will send one right away and I just send back the bad one within 30 days. All in all its worth the extra 20 bucks for the piece of mind.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I look forward to all the feedback I can get.

So all in all it looks like I will be very pleased with my purchase and the upgrade from the 2407!!! :D

I tried settings on sites, out of the box etc etc. Hardware calibration is just better, as it will be with almost any LCD.

Hardware calibration is recommended for any premium LCD (VA/IPS).

Use lagom, it will be fine.

I tried using one on my Benq, I don't know if I just didn't read the instructions or what, but I didn't like the look of the results. Needless to say after using one on my HP and doing it right, I wont go without one ever again.

I tried using one on my Benq, I don't know if I just didn't read the instructions or what, but I didn't like the look of the results. Needless to say after using one on my HP and doing it right, I wont go without one ever again.

Probably weren't following instructions. It happens XD

Yeah hardware calibration is really awesome, however the improvement may not always be significant.

Anyone else on here had this Dell monitor before and then went to the HP ZR24W? I would love to hear your feedback.

I have seen the Dell from my wife's office.

I ahve the HP. as another poster has said, overall viewing angles and IQ appears better on HP....except....black levels. noticeable better on the Dell.

I had 2 2407WFP LCD's for 3 years and decided to upgrade to 2 Dell U2711. The short version is I did not like them and ended up returning them and picked up 2 HP ZR24W LCD's. I am very happy with them, they are the closest LCD's you can get to the 2407WFP.

I had 2 2407WFP LCD's for 3 years and decided to upgrade to 2 Dell U2711. The short version is I did not like them and ended up returning them and picked up 2 HP ZR24W LCD's. I am very happy with them, they are the closest LCD's you can get to the 2407WFP.

Very nice to hear, glad I could get feedback from someone who has had the 2407WFP and went to this HP ZR24W...... I am now really excited to get the new HP hopefully come next week.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

What symptoms does you 2407wfp have? Does it not power on? Is the image blank when the monitor is on?

What symptoms does you 2407wfp have? Does it not power on? Is the image blank when the monitor is on?

The monitor turns on and gets a green light and you can hear it connect with the computer but its just a blank black screen. I researched a bit and saw this was an issue with these monitors and some people found a fix with a fuse thing that called like F12 or something. I didnt want to take on this fix and just said well I got 4 years out of it and its time to upgrade, so I just threw it on eBay and sold it for 100 bucks to someone who knows what they are doing and hopefully could get it fixed and it be a great find for them.

No one around here knew how to fix it and most places wanted to charge way to much to try so I just let it go.

I'm sure this new HP will be a great upgrade from what I had and have alot longer life hopefully then my Dell did. Plus with all the issue I had with the Dell and it only lasting like 4 years really turned me off Dell monitors period and the only thing close in the price range I was looking for was this HP.

I will update with my thoughts once I receive it.

Probably weren't following instructions. It happens XD

Yeah hardware calibration is really awesome, however the improvement may not always be significant.

I used an i1 Display 2 and its software on my zr24w and it looks great. Make sure to do the manual RGB color adjustment rather than a preset. It wasn't hard to dial directly into 6500k (though to be honest I didn't check how accurate the preset actually was). You do pretty much have to turn the contrast control all the way to max and the luminance all the way to min to get proper calibration. Luminance you can fudge (or I suppose do a native white point with it where you like it), but I'm trying to do some photo editing on the monitor so I like it close to 120cd/m^2, and I don't find that terribly dark for actual use of the computer even during the day. I could only actually get it down to 122cd/m^2 though.

Back