Going from 16gig to 32gig DDR4

Savoy

2[H]4U
So I'm feeling like I need to up my ram from 16 to 32. It's the system in my sig and I currently have 4 4 gig sticks so I was thinking some new corsair stuff 16x2 sticks? or 4 x 8?

I got this when the system was built and ddr4 was still expensive and somewhat limited in speeds. What do you guys suggest thats nice fast ram for my sig gaming rig. I prefer to stick with Corsair just because I've always had good experiences with them. Or should I not bother? Reason I'm bringing this up is because I sometimes get out of memory errors in certain games which pisses me off. I don't know if it's a real problem of not enough ram or just porrly codded game or perhaps a driver issue or perhaps it's because I'm running tri sli and it allocates ram a little differently across the system bus? It used to happen in black ops 3 and was happening in BF 1 when I changed to 4 k resolution until I dropped textures to medium from ultra. Again I know I have 4 gigs of vram on the 980's at the moment so I completely understand why I would have to drop textures at 4k res but for it to crash and say out of memory? I remember playing blackops 3 last year and watching it eat like 12 gigs or more of ram at times and then sometimes crashing with the OOM error.

Again the oom crashes don't happen often or in alot of games but it got me thinking I should upgrade to 32 anyway. I plan on getting 2 1080ti's to replace my 3 980's when they launch and I wanted to get some more ram as well.

This is what I'm running Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz, PC4-21300, CL16 (16-18-18)

Opinions?

get 4x8 of faster LPX. if the oom errors continue maybe is a vram thing?!

Ok ya that's what I was thinking. Why 4x8 and not 2x16? Do the smaller sticks come with lower latentices?
Typically, yes, but realistically you'll see no real world difference between slower speed and higher speed RAM, so I wouldn't stress over getting any of the 'fastest'.

maybe a bit but no, no real reason to go 4x8 other than I just think it looks better with all the slots full. perf difference between 2x16 vs 4x8 is negligible unless going to quad channel. 2x will leave you room to upgrade. some say 4x can cause lower mem OCs but ive never experienced it. my 4x4 dd3 has been fine for years. oh and unless you are rendering or doing photo work 32GB will be plenty for a looong time.

OK 4 x 8 it is then. Makes sense to me. I'll probably look into getting the same Corsair Vengenace stuff I have now. Thank guys.

Typically, yes, but realistically you'll see no real world difference between slower speed and higher speed RAM, so I wouldn't stress over getting any of the 'fastest'.

DDR4 memory speed absolutely makes a difference in gaming performance, especially where minimum frame rates are concerned. For Haswell-E, the minimum speed for minimal performance gains above that speed is about 2666-2800 mhz, while Skylake requires at least 3200 mhz to mostly remove the RAM bottleneck. The performance difference is on the magnitude of 5-15%, depending on the game. I imagine future processors would require faster RAM to run optimally, much like DDR3. Buying faster RAM now depends on how long you intend to keep your RAM through future upgrade cycles.

DDR4 memory speed absolutely makes a difference in gaming performance, especially where minimum frame rates are concerned. For Haswell-E, the minimum speed for minimal performance gains above that speed is about 2666-2800 mhz, while Skylake requires at least 3200 mhz to mostly remove the RAM bottleneck. The performance difference is on the magnitude of 5-15%, depending on the game. I imagine future processors would require faster RAM to run optimally, much like DDR3. Buying faster RAM now depends on how long you intend to keep your RAM through future upgrade cycles.

Well I don't plan on upgrading ram,cpu or mb for a few years so I want decently fast ram now. That said, what speed do you suggest? I never really know how fast is enough oft you will.

Well I don't plan on upgrading ram,cpu or mb for a few years so I want decently fast ram now. That said, what speed do you suggest? I never really know how fast is enough oft you will.

Since you have Haswell-E, ideally you want at least 2666 Mhz. If you plan to upgrade RAM at the same time as the CPU and motherboard, a faster speed isn't necessary. If you plan to keep the RAM through CPU/motherboard upgrades, at least 3200 mhz is suggested.

Since you have Haswell-E, ideally you want at least 2666 Mhz. If you plan to upgrade RAM at the same time as the CPU and motherboard, a faster speed isn't necessary. If you plan to keep the RAM through CPU/motherboard upgrades, at least 3200 mhz is suggested.

Ya I tend to do whole new builds every 4 or 5 years with video cards upgrades in between. So the next time I upgrade cpu ram and mb will be a new build ground up. So for now sounds like 2666 is perfect. Thanks.

Ok ya that's what I was thinking. Why 4x8 and not 2x16? Do the smaller sticks come with lower latentices?
Your platform supports DDR4 memory in quad channel mode, so optimal bandwidth is achieved by populating RAM slots in multiples of 4.

Your platform supports DDR4 memory in quad channel mode, so optimal bandwidth is achieved by populating RAM slots in multiples of 4.

I totally had forgotten about quad channel at first. Then I realized why I had populated all 4 dimms when I built this rig 2 years ago. Lol

I'd go with at least 3200. I just bough some ddr4 and 3200 was not that much more expensive.

Back