Going for CCNA...'physical' course or online?

jnick

2[H]4U
This may be a long one!

I used to be the Systems Administrator at my job. I climbed the ranks from a Help Desk tech since I was in college (I now work at my college). I worked with AD, Group Policies, WSUS, LANDesk, Imaging, etc. I was known as the guru then. I have my A+ and am Lenovo Certified for Desktops and Notebooks.

A Net Admin position opened and I jumped for it as that's what I want to do. Hell, it's what my degree was in. I got the position and have been doing it since last September. It's been a slow transition (had to train new systems guy) but now I'm finally doing solely networking tasks.

Now, I've only been working in Networking for a year. I do not have a very strong foundation in Networking...just what I'm learning for tasks on the job. I have programmed Cisco switches, set up archives, kron jobs, etc. I'm punched down cables, patched fiber, etc. I've done the basics however I still feel my foundation is a bit shaky.

We recently transitioned from Extreme network equipment over to Cisco in the last year. As a matter of a fact, in the upcoming months, I am deploying around 30 new switches for the campus. Because of this, I, as well as the other two networking admins, have been asked to get the CCNA. The job is paying for us to go to a weeks session of CCNA training.

I'm slated to go in September however due to instructor issues, the training site got move from NY (where I live) to PA, 4 hours away. Therefore, my boss is giving me the option of going to PA and he'd put me up in a hotel, etc or I can do it at home, online.

For those that have taken the tests and or done the training, whether it be online or in-person, what do you think my best option is?

I have to let my boss know by Monday what route I'd like to go with. I'm open to any and all suggestions. The end result; obviously passing the CCNA!

Thanks!

It really depends on your personal learning style.. if you already have a lot of experience a week long class will help fill in the gaps. If by taking it online you mean you'll be watching video and demonstrations of your instructor, that will be just as good. Many people learn the CCENT and CCNA at home by themselves with books and training software. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Your instructor is probably going to be pulling a lot of information off of Cisco's education website. I just enrolled to begin getting my CCNA and I was given a link to Cisco's education website...pretty much all the course material is there and i've already started doing the work and class doesnt start till next week.

I'd say if your ok with working on your own and can motivate yourself to do the tasks, online would probably work fine for you...I like the classroom cause the gubermint pays mes ta dos it.

A Net Admin position opened and I jumped for it as that's what I want to do. Hell, it's what my degree was in.
I do not have a very strong foundation in Networking...
:rolleyes:

the online course will be 95% the experience of the physical. I've done training courses online and physical and the only thing you miss out on is the class discussions.

I guess it all depends on how you learn. I learn by doing and visually watching. CBTNuggets works great for alongside a real physical Cisco lab. Some people do better in a classroom. It would be nice sometimes to get clarification and explanations on some things I don't fully understand, but that's what forums (specifically the thread on here) are for.

Given the opportunity like that, I would personally opt for the travel & attend the class physically.

You avoid distractions that you'd normally face while at home, allowing you to focus your efforts completely on the subject matter. This is amplified when you get put up in a hotel room; not only are you not distracted by the simple chores at home, you have plenty of time after class to continue labbing on areas that you did not fully grasp.

It is also nice to be in the same physical environment of the instructor to get some personal interaction with them. While you can communicate with them remotely, to me it's not the same & a little more difficult to ask those one off questions.

With that being said, if the training was local & I had to commute to it every day - I'd opt to take it from home :).

:rolleyes:

the online course will be 95% the experience of the physical. I've done training courses online and physical and the only thing you miss out on is the class discussions.

Rolling the eyes...I know, I know. Unfortunately, my college was VERY strong in teaching the theories from a book. Period. We got no hands on training. I didn't get to use VMware until I started working in IT. My college totally skipped it. Interestingly enough, a bunch of us "IT Grads" participated in a movement to re-structure the IT curriculum for future students and have made great progress thus far.

I didn't know the difference between untagged and tagged VLANs when I got the Networking position, that's how bad the IT curriculum was. Since then, I've learned whatever I can hands on at the job and through some research!

Thanks for all of the opinions! Before writing this I was leaning towards the online course, which IS instructor led (sorry if I left that out). However a few people thought I should go for the physical training. I would say right now...I'm still leaning towards the online! All of my A+ studying was online as was my AD, Sophos and some of the LANDesk training.

Rolling the eyes...I know, I know. Unfortunately, my college was VERY strong in teaching the theories from a book. Period. We got no hands on training. I didn't get to use VMware until I started working in IT. My college totally skipped it. Interestingly enough, a bunch of us "IT Grads" participated in a movement to re-structure the IT curriculum for future students and have made great progress thus far.

I didn't know the difference between untagged and tagged VLANs when I got the Networking position, that's how bad the IT curriculum was. Since then, I've learned whatever I can hands on at the job and through some research!

Thanks for all of the opinions! Before writing this I was leaning towards the online course, which IS instructor led (sorry if I left that out). However a few people thought I should go for the physical training. I would say right now...I'm still leaning towards the online! All of my A+ studying was online as was my AD, Sophos and some of the LANDesk training.

It's my understanding that schools that pick up the Cisco course have to be able to provide a lab for hands on work. The school I am going to has three branches in three different cities but only offers the classes at the smallest one, I think thats because they need the proper space.

ha, we have similar stories OP. ( Server admin; MCSE, MCITP) I started my position back in September 2011 and never worked on a Cisco switch before. I had HP switch experiences but networking was a new field for me.

I took the ICND 2 course to give me a brief over view of Cisco's world of networking but I would not say that class would have prepped me for the class. Lately I have been studying off of CBT nugget and train signal videos and I honestly feel these videos are helping me a lot better then the course.

On the contrary, having the company pay for the course for a week would be a good experience and I would just buy the CBT and Train signals on your own. (your a network admin now, you can afford it ;)

Physical. You'll probably learn more from being there and helping your classmates than you ever will on an online course.

just my 2 cents

The course is going to teach you how to pass the test. You might learn a few things or two, but it's just a giant cram session to ensure you pass the exam.

The benefit of the class is for those wanting to certify or have been self studying and just want remediation/insurance of passing the exam.

If you don't have a strong networking background. I'd suggest reading a Network+ book for the fundamentals then CCNA book for the Cisco piece. The only reason why I say to read the Network+ book is there elements of networking that the Self Study or Lammle book don't touch on, as the test is how to be Cisco Certified Network Associate.

Maybe get a hold of Bryant Advantage, CBT Nuggets or INE for an instructor to explain concepts.

GNS3 or Packet Tracer will be the tools you use to practice the concepts.

Take the class, as it's going to get you the certification. But maybe go home or spend some of your lunch reading or labbing.

Back