Going for 360

Bucken

2[H]4U
Hey guys. Am finally going to get a console. Now I need to pick which version. Is the Elite version with the 120gb hd worth it?

In my opinion, no. I have the 20 gig model, ive had it for about a year, i have 10-15 XBLA games, tons of saves, and a beta or two, and i still have about 7 gigs free. Unless you plan on buying a metric assload of movies, i find that you dont really use much of the space. Just remember to delete the demos once you get the real game, and you will be in fine shape, i think.

What if my primary use of this will be for connecting to my computer and listening to music and tv shows and movies?

What if my primary use of this will be for connecting to my computer and listening to music and tv shows and movies?

still get the 20GB.. because if you're streaming from your PC. then everything is stored in your PC..

Well, when you stream from your PC as i do on occasion, (wonderful feature, btw) it dosnt actually store the song or video on your 360. It pulls it right off of your pc and displays it directly, so it dosnt really use up any space.

I would have to agree...the 20gb is large enough for pretty much any normal gaming.

You only need bigger if you want to keep more than like 6 demos at a time and want to download lots of movies.

Streaming from your PC uses no space as it streams things from your PC.

For me it was worth it to get the Elite.
- I prefer it in black
- It allows optical out + HDMI without having to buy the $50 attachment (because it comes with the attachment)
- Bigger hard drive for when when the proper video marketplace finally comes to Europe
- I'm a consumer whore

Well, I wanted HDMI + optical for my setup, so once I'd added those things (though in the interest of full disclosure, I DID have an hdmi cable laying around and would have only needed the dongle) it would have been nearly as much as the elite anyway.

I'd probably base your decision on that factor more than HD space, honestly. I did fill up the HD on my premium with a handfull of demos and TV shows, though, so the space is quite nice if you use Marketplace at all.

I tend to think that the black version looks a little better, especially with all my other black home theater components, but that was hardly a deciding factor naturally.

whichever you decide to get be sure and get the extended warranty. it will save you the hassle of having to send your 360 off for repair if it breaks.

get the halo 3 edition! lol i love the box it comes in, but thats it. the console it self is nasty looking.

get the halo 3 edition! lol i love the box it comes in, but thats it. the console it self is nasty looking.

I will never understand how they can sell a limited edition Halo 3 edition X360, and not have the game included.

The pack should be $429, with the acutal game in the box. What kind of idiot marketing students are they hiring at Microsoft? I mean come on, its called the HALO 3 PACK. The damn game should be part of it.

Anyhoo, the $349/20GB gets my vote. I'm not one to purchase movies/download content, though. 20G is just perfect for demos and arcade games.

I have a premium, and so far it has been enough, as far as the hard drive space is concerned. I don't have anything with HDMI, so the HDMI on the Elite would serve no purpose for me, unless a future television I get, has it.

I will say that I think a year from now I'll be saying 20 gigs just isn't enough, with all the downloadable content on the Live Marketplace already. I mean you can delete videos, tv shows, demos, etc., to free up space, and then just redownload them again later, but I think most people would rather leave them on the system.

If you want to stream music and movies from your PC then the only hard drive space you have to be concerned with is the hard drive space on your computer, because the files remain there.

I will never understand how they can sell a limited edition Halo 3 edition X360, and not have the game included.

The pack should be $429, with the acutal game in the box. What kind of idiot marketing students are they hiring at Microsoft? I mean come on, its called the HALO 3 PACK. The damn game should be part of it.

Anyhoo, the $349/20GB gets my vote. I'm not one to purchase movies/download content, though. 20G is just perfect for demos and arcade games.
actually thats wat thought, stupid micrsoft!

I think the elite is the ONLY way to go. Tons of storage (I easily use over 50gb) and it doesn't look like a piece of crap (like the white ones... come on MS what's with the design decision for white...). I like a console that fits into my theater system without standing out too much (therefore black elite).

I wonder why Microsoft didn't make the Halo 3 edition have a 120gig? If you ever get a bigger hard drive down the road, it's going to look weird since it won't match the console. Maybe if they release a Special Edition Halo 3 120gig Hard Drive.. lol

thats true too big foot, and its 50 more bucks just for a different color! and then you will never again get that same color controller.

Would anyone go for the PS3 over the 360?

I did. I prefer the PS3 exclusives even though most aren't coming until next year, namely Gran Turismo 5. 200k polygons per car :drool:

BD player sealed the deal. And the fact that I don't care for the X360 controllers. Maybe I'll get an X360 core system this Christmas.

I have a Black Premium version(replaced the case)

If I was going to buy a system now I would go with the elite. I prefer the black over the white but the HD space is something I would look into. I know a bunch of people that are out of space on the 20 gig versions. They end up filling them up with demos.

A few friends have already bought the 120 gig drives. As the movie and tv service gets bigger it will just become a bigger issue. If only they would have an unlimited movie rental program or something.....

get the 20 gig premium with HDMI, just make sure it is a July or later manufactured system that way you get the latest hardware:D

Wow. Sorry I asked a legitimate question. I am going to use this as a full multimedia device and so I wanted to make sure I got the right one.

I prefer the multimedia functionality on my PS3, personally.

PS3'd be great if there were more games out at the moment (technically it's a better system and they don't have that whole 30% defect rate) but, no games = downfall. The 360 has a shitload of games out that everyone likes so, that's why they're ahead of the game. The system itself though, isn't that great.

I prefer the multimedia functionality on my PS3, personally.

With me it is the opposite, but I have a different sort of setup. I use the 360 as a Media Center Extender. I'm not a big fan of the PS3's interface and wouldn't like to use it to browse my media files.

A demo can be up to 1.4 gigs, and the 20gig drive allows for aroun 13 gigs of storage. XBLA stuff is very small, with Castlevania being exceptionally large at around 250mb or so I believe. Demos are just popped in and out, so I've never even come close to running out of space. As mentioned before, you don't need to store media on the Xbox360 to stream from the PC.

I recommend just the Xbox360 Premium.

I was actually listening to an interview with the executive producer of Halo 3 on Maxim Radio (I love my satellite radio) and this question came up. The answer he gave was some people might already have Halo 3 or are able to buy Halo 3 for cheaper than $60 so adding it to the limited edition X360 would just be an extra required cost that some people might not want.

He then went on to point out the obvious that some retailers might make a limited edition + game package available.

I was actually listening to an interview with the executive producer of Halo 3 on Maxim Radio (I love my satellite radio) and this question came up. The answer he gave was some people might already have Halo 3 or are able to buy Halo 3 for cheaper than $60 so adding it to the limited edition X360 would just be an extra required cost that some people might not want.

He then went on to point out the obvious that some retailers might make a limited edition + game package available.

except that nobody is going to buy the ugly (yes i think it is hideous) green H3 console unless they are a Halo fan, which means they would also be buying the game/s with the console, i mean come on.....that thing is so fugly that you would simply have to be a Halo nut to even want it sitting in your room

Back