• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Going completely VOIP, is it possible?

MikeyB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
413
I'm getting a nexus one and am wondering if it is possible to go completely voip? As in, get a new number, have all my calls and text messages go through that new number, and never use my 'real' number for anything?
 
I can't see why not.

You'll always need to be on WiFi but it's possible. You can use Google Voice to make most calls and text messages on the phone and obviously data works over WiFi. Google Voice isn't free internationally though..so you''ll have to pay for that. Just get the phone unlocked and never sign up for a service with a cell carrier.

That said not sure if it would really be worth it
 
Here's the deal

My local regional carrier has a plan with unlimited 3g data and text, but only 200 talk minutes for $50. If I can use VOIP then I can use this super-cheap plan and never have to worry about minutes.
 
Sounds like a good plan to me, make sure that the Nexus One you get works properly with the 3G bands on that carrier though.
 
With AT&T at least, you used to be able to get a plan with just data (which was $30 at the time), but I'm not sure if you still can with the newer data packages (though I presume you can).
 
Its possible with an android phone and a data plan only. The google voice ap will. Use the 3g/4g or wifi to dial out through google voice. I've used this in building with no cell reception and a solid wifi connection.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
You will have to have a cell number to tie to the google account though.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Back
Top