Going back to CRT, which is better? IBM P275 or Dell P1130?

nutxo

[H]ard|Gawd
Which is better? IBM P275 or Dell P1130?

I was able to find both locally and around the same price. Anyone have any input?

It is really a case by case basis with CRTs, some will have really bad convergence problems or the white temperature will be way off etc. It's best to look at them on a case by case basis although I think the P275 has a better tube in it. I wouldn't put much stock in the fact it has DVI inputs though, vga d-sub cables provide plenty of bandwidth for any resolution that monitor can drive.

texuspete00 said:
We'll get this one out of the way nice and early..... why not an FW900?

#1 The price, right now.

#2 I would prefer local availability so if theres a problem I can return it.

If I had the resources I would do an fw900 in a heartbeat. I'd love a widescreen without all the lcd BS. I figure Ill try lcd again in a year maybe. I just dont think they are ready for primetime yet. Although I have to admit, my l90d+ was pretty freakin close.

nutxo said:
#1 The price, right now.

#2 I would prefer local availability so if theres a problem I can return it.

If I had the resources I would do an fw900 in a heartbeat. I'd love a widescreen without all the lcd BS. I figure Ill try lcd again in a year maybe. I just dont think they are ready for primetime yet. Although I have to admit, my l90d+ was pretty freakin close.

Now, wait a minute. I don't mean to heckle you but, you just said your Hyundai L90D was pretty close to perfect. That LCD is a lower end LCD and if you thought it was close to "perfect" than you should get another LCD. Something w/ an 8bit Panel, and Good Color Reproduction. I think you should reseach a bit more before going back to the CRT, granted I'm typing on one now.

TheBlueChanell said:
Now, wait a minute. I don't mean to heckle you but, you just said your Hyundai L90D was pretty close to perfect. That LCD is a lower end LCD and if you thought it was close to "perfect" than you should get another LCD. Something w/ an 8bit Panel, and Good Color Reproduction. I think you should reseach a bit more before going back to the CRT, granted I'm typing on one now.

Maybe I did research, maybe you didnt. Why dont you go look at THG review for the l90d+? The l90d+ was actually the first lcd to replace CRT there for a reference monitor. The color reproduction was pretty damn good and there wasnt a trace of ghosting in games.

I just ditched my viewsonic widescreen because it actually seemed like a downgrade from the l90d+.

Also. Im not sure if your just confused, there are 2 different models, l90d and l90d+. Are we even talking about the same monitor?

While were at it, try this. Good stuff. lookie

I am also in the most likely going back to CRT club. I started with a Dell 2405 LCD as my first. Couldn't stand it. Smears, color shifts at small viewing angle changes, Way too bright and looks like crap if you try to run dim, lags. Some people just don't notice these things.

I ordered a Dell 2007FP which should have a S-IPS panel, which is just about the only thing left to try. Unfortunately I hear two bad things. 1: All the Dell 2007 have banding issues. 2: Some Dell 2007FP have switched to PVA panels (which I already know I hate).

I use a Dell P1110 (love it) at work and there are a lot of P1130's around which I think are even better. The IBM P275 is pretty much the equivalent. The DVI input is just a DVI connector with the same RGB input so that doesn't even enter into the thought process. Get whichever one you can find that is newer/better deal. I am keeping an eye out for the same, because I strongly suspect my Dell will arrive and will be defective, at which point I vacate the LCD market for a couple of years. Or maybe as long as my next CRT lasts.

nutxo said:
Maybe I did research, maybe you didnt. Why dont you go look at THG review for the l90d+? The l90d+ was actually the first lcd to replace CRT there for a reference monitor. The color reproduction was pretty damn good and there wasnt a trace of ghosting in games.

I just ditched my viewsonic widescreen because it actually seemed like a downgrade from the l90d+.

Also. Im not sure if your just confused, there are 2 different models, l90d and l90d+. Are we even talking about the same monitor?

While were at it, try this. Good stuff. lookie

From what I remember about the L90d+ from a few months ago when I was looking at LCD's is.

16.7mil Colors
135/150 viewing angles
8ms
700:1 Contrast Ratio

Now, to me. Those viewing angles are downright poor. The contrast ratio could be better, and If remember correctly, (I could be wrong) the L90d+ is analog only.

Now let's look at something like the vp930 for instance

16.7mil Colors
180/180 VA
8ms
1000:1

The vp930 would give better color reproduction and yeild much better viewing angles. Now, the vp930b isn't exactly the perfect 19" LCD because it suffers from terrible backlight problems. My point is, is that there are better 19" LCD's out there, than the hyundai. If you look at the higherend Samsungs, I'd imagine you'd find your "perfect" or "better than l90d+" monitor. This is just my 2 pennies.

Also what Viewsonic WS are you talking about. If you're talking about the va1912, that would be a downgrade because it's a 6bit panel and is known to have banding issues.

TheBlueChanell said:
Also what Viewsonic WS are you talking about. If you're talking about the va1912, that would be a downgrade because it's a 6bit panel and is known to have banding issues.

The l90d+ had dvi. Viewsonic was a va2012wb.

Every LCD seems to have some lame ass isue with bleeding, dead pixels, banding, dvi issues. Screw that. It's stupid to blow the cash on somethign that you might have to return 3 times to get a good one. Not to mention the fiasco of mans using different panels in the same models.

Dude, why dont you just face it. CRT's are still better than the best LCD's.

I've got the deskspace and I don't need an 800 dollar lcd to compensate for a small penis. ;)

nutxo said:
Dude, why dont you just face it. CRT's are still better than the best LCD's.

I've got the deskspace and I don't need an 800 dollar lcd to compensate for a small penis. ;)

I have to agree.
I have seen my share of LCD's and never seen one that would make me ditch my CRT for gaming.

An LCD maybe better for text/geometry...but for gaming...CRT's rank supreme in my book.

Terra...

I have a brand new IBM p275 lined up. The 1130 and yes, an fw900 fell through. The p275 looks pretty freakin sweet though.

The price on some of these CRT's is amazingly low.

just get some random crt you find on sale at a local microcenter or bestbuy,

they work great

nutxo said:
Every CRT seems to have some lame ass isue with convergence, focus, geometry. Screw that. It's stupid to blow the cash on somethign that you might have to return 3 times to get a good one.
There.

Fixed. :p

nutxo said:
I have a brand new IBM p275 lined up. The 1130 and yes, an fw900 fell through. The p275 looks pretty freakin sweet though.

The price on some of these CRT's is amazingly low.
BTW I know you mentioned getting these someplace local . but where exactly are you getting them from?

MrkXCeL said:
BTW I know you mentioned getting these someplace local . but where exactly are you getting them from?

I got the p1130 from a salvage company. The p275 was in the little nickel , I missed it by a few minutes. I had put off calling so he sold to someone else.

I live in the seattle/Tacoma area. We have a buttload of tech companies and techies from MS , boeing yadda yadda so out of lease stuff pops up a lot.

How much was the p275 going for ?

I have been running my p275 for about 2 years now. I have noticed some slight purple coloration that appears in my bottom left hand corner. It dissappears with a de-gaussing (sp?) though...

J-Mag said:

I have been running my p275 for about 2 years now. I have noticed some slight purple coloration that appears in my bottom left hand corner. It dissappears with a de-gaussing (sp?) though...

The p275 was 120 but it looked like it was brand new out of the box. You could try the convergence controls maybe to get rid of the color issues.

J-Mag said:

magnetic field near buy for sure as its purple and it dissapears after a degauss.

I bought a refurbished black IBM P275 CRT back in Nov of 2005 from Tiger Direct for $99 plus the expensive shipping that was $60 because it weighs 67 pounds. If you have the right desk to hold this puppy and you're a serious gamer I'd highly recommend this. I actually did by a 19 inch flat screen LCD with 8 ms response time and that thing ghosted like a muddafudda. Plus LCD's suck because of the limited 75 hertz refresh rate and I ended up returning it. I never once processed the thought in my mind to return my P275. I fell in love with it at first turn on. Picture is excellent. The only downside is it has 2 very thin lines going across the screen called the aperture grill. You can only see it when you look for it. I've completely forgotten about them til now but I read the aperature grille helps make the quality much more rich and stable and that is so true. The P275 gets 150 herts in games and 100 herts in windows at 1600X1200 resolution. The original price is $800 and I still see it going for $500 refurbished. The fact that I got mine for $160 with shipping and I've had it for around 18 months now with no problems at all, I feel like I got the best monitor deal out there. GET THIS IF YOU CAN FIND ONE

I bought a refurbished black IBM P275 CRT back in Nov of 2005 from Tiger Direct for $99 plus the expensive shipping that was $60 because it weighs 67 pounds. If you have the right desk to hold this puppy and you're a serious gamer I'd highly recommend this. I actually did by a 19 inch flat screen LCD with 8 ms response time and that thing ghosted like a muddafudda. Plus LCD's suck because of the limited 75 hertz refresh rate and I ended up returning it. I never once processed the thought in my mind to return my P275. I fell in love with it at first turn on. Picture is excellent. The only downside is it has 2 very thin lines going across the screen called the aperture grill. You can only see it when you look for it. I've completely forgotten about them til now but I read the aperature grille helps make the quality much more rich and stable and that is so true. The P275 gets 150 herts in games and 100 herts in windows at 1600X1200 resolution. The original price is $800 and I still see it going for $500 refurbished. The fact that I got mine for $160 with shipping and I've had it for around 18 months now with no problems at all, I feel like I got the best monitor deal out there. GET THIS IF YOU CAN FIND ONE

There are also some new Apperture Grill CRT's available.

http://www.nm-select.com/searchresults.asp?search_id=1

I've been running the NEC MultiSync FE991SB-BK for a little over 3 years now. It has been a great monitor. The supper bright feature really helps out when playing dark games in a well lighted room. I am having to replace it now because several times a day, the screen compresses in to a bright horzontal line accross the middle of the screen. You can give the side a good rap and it goes back to normal for a while. Of course it is out of warranty and would cost more to fix then to buy a new one.

Lastnight, I stopped by CUSA and CC to look at the LCD's they had in stock. Aside from them having old models. I thought all the LCD's on display looked like crap. They all had backlight bleed that was noticable under the stores lighting that ranged from tolarable to horrid. Going to stop by BB today and see it their stock is newer.

LCD is not the best technology for enthusiasts. ;)

hopefully its just a passing fad that goes away soon so we can get back to REAL viewing.

looks like some companys havent stopped building CRT's yet, i think they're listening to gamers and enthusiasts in the background and finding out that LCD's are not half of what they're cracked up to be. :cool:

I will be a very, very sad person when my NEC FE2111SB dies. It is, by far, the nicest monitor I've ever had. Perfect picture, super blacks, worth every penny I paid for it.

Perhaps I'll have a different outlook once the OLEDS come out.

Back