God of War 3 Demo

pigwalk

[H]F Junkie
So it's finally out on PSN, even though I'm sure nearly everyone that's really cared has already played. What's the final consensus? I'll admit, it seems like more of the same, not much except better graphics. A little disappointing in that regards, I was expecting something different.

That being said. More of awesome, is fucking awesome. And this brings the awesome in spades.

Yea i was kind of "Meh" on it for some reason. I'll probably still get the game though.

I'd rather GoW III be more of the same of what works than be like RE 5 which is more of the same of something I didn't want changed in the first place.

I like it, but it was very much more of the same with better graphics. Same moves, combos, enemies, etc.
If you liked the first three (counting the PSP), this one's just like 'em.
I can't say I expected any different, though.

More of the same, but more interesting than Devil May Cry 4. Demo came with my copy of District 9. That was a while ago, surprised it took this long to hit PSN.

Graphics going to be improved by launch? They were good just not 'OMFG' like I expected.

Yes. Demo is E3 2009 build.

People who have played the full game already said it's like night and day.

I'd rather GoW III be more of the same of what works than be like RE 5 which is more of the same of something I didn't want changed in the first place.

QFT. Making major changes to the combat system wouldn't make much sense to me. They added some small tweaks (using an enemy as a battering ram, which is fun) and I'm sure after you upgrade weapons they'll have more combo options, which will likely be similar but a bit different from those in previous games.

I also enjoyed the new weapon, which played quite a bit differently than the chains, and I'm sure there will be others along the way. Along with new spells, I'm sure. What did you expect?

As for the graphics, the only PS3 game I've seen that looked that good was Uncharted 2. If they'll be even better in the final version I can't friggin wait.

Geez, I'd hate to be a dev. Lots of people get upset if you change stuff, while lots of others get upset if you don't. Personally I don't care, I love the GoW games and I'm fine being more of the same (was anyone really expecting anything else?).

QFT. Making major changes to the combat system wouldn't make much sense to me. They added some small tweaks (using an enemy as a battering ram, which is fun) and I'm sure after you upgrade weapons they'll have more combo options, which will likely be similar but a bit different from those in previous games.
Another thing that is really important is that we're not getting GoW shoved down our throat. More of the same of Guitar Hero 3x a year gets boring real fast. More of the same once very 4 years does not, especially when it keeps getting better every release.

GoW III is absolutely epic.

Dantes Inferno pwns GoW3..It plays the same,looks better and is 60fps..I expexted more from GoW3.

what are you talking about you played the Demo of GOW3 so how can you judge it. from what ive read the Graphics from the Demo to the Real deal is like night and day. Dante's inferno is a Rip off GOW3 cause they couldnt come up with their own shit so they stole the concept

Dantes Inferno pwns GoW3..It plays the same,looks better and is 60fps..I expexted more from GoW3.

I don't think I've ever come across an opinion more objectively wrong than this one.

Demo felt very beta, but even that beta beats the pants off the imitators. Cant wait! I've got Dante's Inferno and Darksiders to hold me over till then.

what are you talking about you played the Demo of GOW3 so how can you judge it. from what ive read the Graphics from the Demo to the Real deal is like night and day. Dante's inferno is a Rip off GOW3 cause they couldnt come up with their own shit so they stole the concept
As much as I despise GT I watched the show. The graphics in that are better than the demo. Matter of fact, the graphics showed in that episode are quite awe inspiring. I'm glad to see that's the finished product.

Anyways, circle triangle .... circle triangle ...

Funny..I feel the same way about your opinion..:rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that a game which is widely considered a lame GoW1 rip-off has better graphics (it doesn't, I honestly don't know how you can even say this, watch any of the latest videos), "plays the same", and runs at 60 FPS so that makes it inherently better (some developers have stated 60 FPS games tend to generate lower sales since they have to sacrifice image quality for it, so they're shying away from it).

I don't have to explain myself, but you sure do. Dante's Inferno was the bigger button masher I've ever played, it doesn't even have half the combos either God of War 2 or the God of War 3 beta demo have.

So what you're saying is that a game which is widely considered a lame GoW1 rip-off has better graphics (it doesn't, I honestly don't know how you can even say this, watch any of the latest videos), "plays the same", and runs at 60 FPS so that makes it inherently better (some developers have stated 60 FPS games tend to generate lower sales since they have to sacrifice image quality for it, so they're shying away from it).

I don't have to explain myself, but you sure do. Dante's Inferno was the bigger button masher I've ever played, it doesn't even have half the combos either God of War 2 or the God of War 3 beta demo have.

"widely considered"means jack to me.I think for myself..MW2 is"widely considered"to be a lot of things I dont agree with.As primarily a PC gamer,60fps is important TO ME and I prefer my games as such and rarely if ever have to as console devs put it(sacrifice IQ).BTW,I dont have to explain anything,Im simply stating MY opinion.Im sure you can still look at your Kratos nite lite the same way tonite.;)

One thing to remember about the "sameness" of GOW 3 is that the previous games were absolutely EPIC and there were little to no flaws with the gameplay. What we got with the demo is a random level showing us that they're still going to have huge enemies, complete chaos, new mechanics (the flying part) and still retain the core gameplay that got us there.
The demo feeling like more of the same isn't a bad thing. It means they didn't break what was good about the previous games, but now we get everything in HD with better audio.
I'd actually say it's a step above Resident Evil 5 as they DID break a few of the better things about RE4.

One thing to remember about the "sameness" of GOW 3 is that the previous games were absolutely EPIC and there were little to no flaws with the gameplay.

In the first few minutes of the demo I found myself saying "Ok, looks nice same shit.....". By the end of the demo I was thinking "This is is still the most metal game ever.". Once I got past the lack of innovation (and I did pretty quick) I just enjoyed the game for what it was.

Yeah, why complain when the "same" is pretty much the best it can be? Except for some room for graphical improvements, the game is already near damn perfect.

But then, I'm in it for the story.

I don't think any of us can really say how good GoW 3 will be at this point. I'm certainly hopeful that it'll be as fantastic as it looks, but who knows really? And there's no reason to jump down g1xx3r's throat. He's just voicing his opinion, and though I couldn't disagree more, I don't see any need to insult the guy.

That said, that gametrailers video looks pretty amazing. From the demo and videos out there it may be the best looking console game I've ever seen. I thought the graphics in the demo were pretty much perfect, and the thought that the final product looks even better is mind-boggling.

I don't even bother with demos anymore. Most every game I've ever played and really enjoyed had a shitty demo.

I don't even bother with demos anymore. Most every game I've ever played and really enjoyed had a shitty demo.

i know what you mean, the really good games, they know they will have legs to stand on upon release, but they seem to want to rush out their early beta versions of the game so that people can have their appetite's whetted well ahead of the game's release.

I know where you're coming from.

Here's what Shack News said about GOW III first level ...

"Suffice to say, it was an intense level. So long as the rest of the game can live up to to pacing of the first level, expect to see God of War 3 reach legendary status."

My exact reaction right at the end of the demo when the God of War 3 text came up: "Hooooly Shiiiit."

I have never finished the first two games although I have played them, but this one was just awesome. I have to say that the most impressive thing I saw about the game was the lighting effects. I was in a hallway (the one where it said you can use enemies as battering rams) and using your axes or main weapon or whatever it's called... swinging those things around a room that is barely lit was just so cool. It looked great. The textures were good... Especially at the beginning where you come to those huge doors with golden statues of warriors all around the door.

The action was great and worked well... I never noticed any lag, so I don't understand what the comparison to Dante Inferno's 60fps. Human eyes can't even see 60fps. And also, I don't understand how the demo "feels very beta." I don't think you all understand what that means. I've beta tested many games and GOW3 did not feel beta at all.

And to be fair Dante Inferno is fun and I do really like the idea behind it with the different circles of hell, but to be fair it's a clone of the God of War gameplay mechanic like Saint's Row is to Grand Theft Auto.

But that aside, the demo makes me want to buy the game. It was absolutely fucking epic especially at the end when you come out of the ground and see that huge Goliath thing.

If anything, the one thing that has stayed in all 3 GOW's (and this demo) is the whole "hold down L1 and mash square" technique is a little overpowering. It's not as strong as a normal attack, but it goes apeshit in every direction and can be repeated a little too much against all but larger enemies.
I wish they would've tweaked that a little. It's a small complaint, but I find myself doing that move a little much just because it's almost too good not to.

If anything, the one thing that has stayed in all 3 GOW's (and this demo) is the whole "hold down L1 and mash square" technique is a little overpowering. It's not as strong as a normal attack, but it goes apeshit in every direction and can be repeated a little too much against all but larger enemies.
I wish they would've tweaked that a little. It's a small complaint, but I find myself doing that move a little much just because it's almost too good not to.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I find that a lot of those higher level attacks can get you into trouble, especially on harder difficulties. You can get stuck in the middle of a powerful attack only to get stabbed in the back, which makes it all the more important to use them at the right time. I only use those kinds of attacks in specific instances. I generally just stick and move.

Usually I'll use the L1 attack when I'm getting surrounded to get some distance between me and them but 3 has the whole everybody pile and you bust the shit out of them move so my strategy may change for this one.

I really enjoyed the demo. From what I read the final product has even more polish and graphical improvements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKV8_NogSUY

First 10 minutes of GOW III. It's in German but watching the gameplay is the fun part anyways. Exclusive games like this is why PS3 is the fucking bomb.

Tempting, but I'm staying away from any more video I think. I feel like I've already seen too much. I've devoured every other video I've come across, but I don't want to see the opening in its entirety. I'd like to have some surprises.

Back