• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Go X58/P55 or wait?

IronRuler

Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
616
I'm at the dilemma of waiting for Sandy Bridge or going with an AM3/P55/X58 platform. Do you guys think that it will be a significant advancement over today's offerings?
 
Depends what you have now and how long you are willing to wait and if you are willing to resale your components when new chips come around.

I paid $525 US for my i7 920, EGA SLI3 + 6GB of Gskill memory in March. If I wanted to sell that next year and upgrade to SB I expect to get around $400 for the lot so buying the i7 system in March will cost me less than $125. Although I do not expect to be able to buy a SB system better than my i7 920 for $525 next year.
 
Last edited:
I thought I read that, they will be releasing a "K" line of those CPU's that would be OC'able?
 
Intel just keeps stabbing themselves in the back.

Sure looks that way. With the i7's getting so low in price Ive thought about switching over but hearing that not only will the SB line not be compatible with current sockets but now theyre cutting out overclocking, I think Ill stay an AMD fanboy a little longer.
 
And only their highest end socket 2011 mobos and cpus will support overclocking.

Actually, reading it, I think they are talking about 1155 socket mobos being limited in oc potential. I think they are saying the only the highest end P67 (for the 1155 socket) will support oc'ing because of the fact that manufacturers have to spend a lot of r'n'd dollars to find a work-around.

However, Sandy Bridge-E (socket 2011) is said to use a similar chipset design as X58 meaning overclocking will be able to be done the same as before with those boards.
 
Back
Top