Go for 6700k or 6800k? New main rig for 3 to 5 years

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
What cpu would you guys get for a new main rig if buying this week? I am torn between 6700k and 6800k. Lay it out on the table for me. This is going to be my everything rig, gaming, video, work, school.

Thanks!

Go for 6700K unless you really have a need for hex cores (4 vs 6) or huge amounts of memory. (64GB vs 128GB). The platform used with the 6700k will be cheaper.

Go for 6700K unless you really have a need for hex cores (4 vs 6) or huge amounts of memory. (64GB vs 128GB). The platform used with the 6700k will be cheaper.

This.

Do you do video encoding? run lots of VMs? other intensive stuff?

If no then 6700K is your answer.

More cores does give a computer more longevity - yes, especially for gaming now.

If you plan on keeping it for 5 years, I would definitely go with an i7 6800K.

There is no game out and wont be for another year that really takes advantage or 6 or more cores. Ashes of singularity sucks

Wait another year. cannon lake will have 6-8 cores for 400.00 in late 2017

I bought the 6700K so the rest is history! ;)

Thing seems snappy as heck too.

Good choice.
You wont need more cores.
The lower overclock of the 6800K will be the largest issue for most CPU limited games.

Good choice.
You wont need more cores.
The lower overclock of the 6800K will be the largest issue for most CPU limited games.

Not if over clock to 4.4ghz like I did :p then you pretty much beat 6700k :D but like other said, Yeah 6700k is good choice, I have both 6700k and 6800k, at stock, 6700k just feel little bit smoother in games lol

More cores does give a computer more longevity - yes, especially for gaming now.

If you plan on keeping it for 5 years, I would definitely go with an i7 6800K.
+1 the new standard should be 6 core ive seen to many games use more then 4 core i was in shock when i ran the cpu useage monitor in msi afterburner 5 out of the 6 games i tested used more then 4 cores.it really is time to start thinking about getting away from 4 core if you want any longevity to your system.i went from a 4 to 6 core and sure as hell would never go back.the gameplay experience is so much smoother now.

I'll just leave this here:

I like how he didn't show the task manager CPU utilization for AE. Based on his results, you can easily draw the conclusion that it is a single threaded app that benefits from higher clock speeds and not more cores.

It would be interesting to see if 8 or 10 core Intel processors would speed up his workflow significantly more in the software that is coded to take advantage of more cores. Or, see if the programmers are lazy and don't scale past 6 cores.

As for gaming? The 6700K will hold up in current titles, but it will show its age much more quickly than a 6+core CPU would - especially now that DX12 has built in multi-core/thread optimization.

I voted with my wallet two weeks ago and went 6850, personally. I'm on about a 5 or 6 year rebuild schedule so not dissimilar at all.

The way I see it: if there are suddenly big needs for memory or cores, I'll be well equipped in ways that Kaby Lake wouldn't be able to match because of the limits of the LGA 1151 socket. Maxed at 4 cores and 2 channels of memory. Meanwhile, LGA2011-3 supports 4 channels of memory and with 8 slots I don't have to wait for super-dense DIMMs to max it out. Then it can support many more cores: Largest drop-in would be a Xeon with 18 cores, unlocked would be the 6950K at 10. While it's kind of a dead-end for the roadmap, I could definitely see Intel dipping further into it's Xeon line and bringing some bigger chips to the i7 crowd as a stopgap if Zen turns out to be really amazing.

And if such needs don't actually come up, no problem, I'll still be sitting pretty comfy, I'll just be out a few hundred bucks I might have saved by going 6700, which in 5 years time I probably would forget I missed it.

Unless you KNOW that you need more cores then it's always better to go with a mainstream i5 or i7. You will save lots of money that can be spent on a better GPU.

I went from an 3570k and got a 3930k just recently and i see a huge difference not in fps there pretty similar i see a big leap in smooth gameplay in every game ive tested on both systems.extra cores do help already people look at fps in benches and dont understand its more about smooth gameplay then it is about fps.Ya your fps maybe the same but ive gone to point in my games where my 3570k had stutters and hiccups and did the same with the 3930k and not so much as a hint of stutter i have absolutly bought into that having 4 cores is becoming outdated and it shows

+1 the new standard should be 6 core ive seen to many games use more then 4 core i was in shock when i ran the cpu useage monitor in msi afterburner 5 out of the 6 games i tested used more then 4 cores.
Can you please share with us what were those games?

Can you please share with us what were those games?

Dragon age Inquisition, Crysis 3, The witcher 3, Hitman, Hitman absolution, Watch Dogs, Middle earth: Shadow of Mordor, GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, AotS, Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4, Cities: Skyline....

Enough or need more?.

hitman and rise of tomb raider were the 2 most notable that i tested i use to get bad stutter at the very end of the rotr benchmark and in the interior of the hitman bench test.Now it is absolutley smooth.I also played rotr in the first big area my stutter was pretty aweful with the 3570k not so aweful where it was unplayable but bad enough where it was annoying and with the 3930k i had none of that i was actually pretty shocked.I was sorta wondering if i was making a mistake by building a whole new pc with a cpu that was just as old or older then my 3570k but i couldnt help myself a 6 core system a whole rig i built for less then $700 and it is without question the best move i ever made.people always bring up new tech i dont need it just give me raw power for gaming thats all i need

Last edited:
ROTR used to stutter a little for me with a clocked 6600K @ 4.7GHz.
With a 6700K @ 4.6GHz it is completely smooth.
With a slower CPU, 6 cores + HT may be needed.

I think there was some issues with the new patches on the adobe softwares. Those will eventually be fixed for proper multi threading and you will go back to having more significant differences in performance. The hardwarecanuks test had so many flaws. He didn't show his utilization of CPU and how optimized the program was for multithreading, the type of test he did may have been more GPU bound, etc. It has been shown that after 6 cores you get diminishing returns as you go higher and higher in cores. I think 6800k is much more future proof. At overclock of 4.4ghz it has shown on many benchmarks to outperform 6700k overclocked in gaming as well minus maybe some of the golden chips that can hit very close to 5ghz

I ended up going with a 6700k. 4.6Ghz easily, cool running, and nice platform updates. I was coming from a 2700k, so overall, I'm at about a 20-30% improvement at the same clock speeds (4600Mhz). For me, and for the cost of upgrade to me, worth it. I predominately game.

Fiance has a 5820k @ 3.8Ghz all cores, (aka, basically stock) with a little bit of an undervolt, and for her its phenominal for adobe CS/LR. She's rocking quad channel ddr4 2400, I'm @ dual channel c16 ddr4 3000. She does work.

Back