go dual core or quad core? price drop?

frankyk

Gawd
i'm going to be upgrading to socket am2 soon and i was wondering if i should wait until intel first releases their quad core and i assume dual core cpu's will drop signficantly in price. or perhaps should i even jump on a quad core?

i'm still stuck with my 3000+ socket 754 cpu, it works, but i want to go dual core eventually.

i would upgrade now, quadcore is still months away. once intel quad comes then you are gonna see amd quad on the way and wait longer just get am2 right now or c2d and be happy

As far as I knew, Kentsfield was to be 1k or so, is that within your price range? There won't be a mainstream Core 2 Quad for a while. If you're going dual core, why AM2 over C2D if you can afford it? It's going to be a complete overhaul anyway.

If I were you, I would either wait for 4x4, or wait for K8L. You should be able to squeeze another good few months out of that rig no problem, like some other posters have suggested. Save up some cash and get a good system when your current one is starting to drive you crazy.

Invest in a new heatsink and OC your processor further, that thing probably has 2.4GHz in it.

Unless...I see you have an ASRock motherboard, that wouldn't happen to have one of the early ULI chipsets without PCI/AGP lock, would it? Without a PCI/AGP lock you’ll be lucky to get 2.2GHz.

Im in the same boat as you, though i am waiting to see what the test chips from AMD look like because from a [H] article here a day or 2 ago it looks like the amd 4x4 should beat the c2d. either way if you are going to wait for that next chip that is almost out, you are always going to be waiting :D

if you kept waiting for the next thing to come out, you'd never buy anything...

if what's out there now fits your needs and can provide value, then go for it.

if what you have right now is sufficient and you just have an itchy "add to cart" finger ...
maybe wait.

if you need it - don't hold off on buying a car now to wait for George Jetson's flying pod. you'll be rockin a bus pass for some time then.

i dunno if my asrock has a pci/agp lock or not. i tried to OC it to 2.2 GHz, wouldn't fly though, i have to reset the bios to get it back working.

i don't like intel, i realize core 2 duo is better than most amd dual cores but i personally just can not go intel. i'd rather stick with AMD, i was thinking the x2 3800+ for am2, but i'm not sure if holding out is worth it or not. my system's speed is fine, only my OS is installed weird, i might consider getting a raptor sometime soon. my windows load time is a little weird.

frankyk said:
i dunno if my asrock has a pci/agp lock or not. i tried to OC it to 2.2 GHz, wouldn't fly though, i have to reset the bios to get it back working.

i don't like intel, i realize core 2 duo is better than most amd dual cores but i personally just can not go intel. i'd rather stick with AMD, i was thinking the x2 3800+ for am2, but i'm not sure if holding out is worth it or not. my system's speed is fine, only my OS is installed weird, i might consider getting a raptor sometime soon. my windows load time is a little weird.

1. Reformat
  2. Read up on Eclipse's OC guide and try overclocking again.

Lamont Cranston said:
Im in the same boat as you, though i am waiting to see what the test chips from AMD look like because from a [H] article here a day or 2 ago it looks like the amd 4x4 should beat the c2d. either way if you are going to wait for that next chip that is almost out, you are always going to be waiting :D

lol comparing 4 cores to 2 cores is like comparing apples to tomatoes, there not even in the same category. Lets not get into the price differences either. If you want to wait a yr for amd quad core then you diffenitely wont be dissapointed from what I can tell, however if you want to go dual core right now then theres no questions about the fact that conroe is the way that you want to go.

Back