• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Go cheap then wait or futureproof?

Eihli

Gawd
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
610
I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I just parted out my old q6600 system and I'm just about to order up a new PC.

Should I pick up a 2500k and then drop $250 on an ASRock Z68 gen 3 motherboard with PCI-E generation 3 compatibility?

That way I can just buy an IB and a PCI-E 3 video card and be set, and not have to worry about upgrading my motherboard in the next generation of hardware?

Or should I buy a piece of crap motherboard and then plan to replace both the CPU and motherboard when I upgrade to IB?

Will the ASRock z68 still be a premium motherboard 10 months from now with an IB inside it?
 
Go [H]ard or go home. Buy the best stuff you can and forget upgrading as its not guaranteed.
 
Go [H]ard or go home. Buy the best stuff you can and forget upgrading as its not guaranteed.

Do you think the Z68 will be good if and when the next generation of CPUs and PCI-E 3.0 video cards is released?
 
With Intel, no motherboard is future-proof. Chances are, with AMD performing so poorly, intel will remove 1 pin from 1155 and force a motherboard upgrade for IvB.
 
I'm in the same boat as OP. Getting a MSI Gen3 board + 2500K seems pretty reasonable. You get a decent OC value and can upgrade to IB when it comes (probably). However, it would be nice to see if SB-E is something interesting and to get confirmation on what socket IB will be.

SO, I decided to buy a super cheap OC project which is a X4 631 (A8-3850 with no IGP) and MSI FM1 board. This will be a fun project and should tide me over performance wise for long enough to get a better sense of the next generation and how everything performs on BF3 retail.
 
I just pulled the trigger tonight in regards to the same thing. I decided against BD and went with the best I could buy which was a 2600K, the ASUS Sabertooth P67 board, and 16GB of Corsair Vengence RAM. Honestly? After having been building my own systems since 2003, and especially after this round of waiting for BD, I've come to the conclusion to buy when I have the money and not to wait for some sort of mystery part coming down the pipeline. Like the others have said, there's no 'futureproof' solution ever. Both AMD and Intel are swapping sockets nearly every generation now. I mean, in the last few years AMD has gone from AM2 to AM2+ to AM3 and now AM3+. Intel went 775, with numerous chipset iterations which would gradually stop supporting newer chips, to 1366/1156 to 1155 and soon 2011, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see something ridiculous like 1157 that will require all new chips as well. In the end, waiting only results in wasted time and additional frustration when there are perfectly viable and long-term solutions already out. There will always be something new around the corner and that is both the greatest part of computers and its little curse.
 
I go cheap on the mobo, about $80 to $100 and spend most of the money on CPU, RAM, or Video card. My last mobo here I bought for $90 has lasted me 3 years now. It's a bit dumb in my opinion to buy a $300 mobo unless it's a server mobo because the aspect of CPU technology is changing so much. I used to buy that really expensive mobo, but now I just settle for a good quality and name brand for $100 or less.
 
Do you think the Z68 will be good if and when the next generation of CPUs and PCI-E 3.0 video cards is released?

Most Z68 motherboards will be able to support Ivy Bridge CPUs, and many of them will also support PCIe 3.0. Just check the manufacturer's website to be sure before buying. But I still wouldn't spend $250 on a motherboard when you can find many, many good Z68 motherboards for $150.
 
Most Z68 motherboards will be able to support Ivy Bridge CPUs, and many of them will also support PCIe 3.0. Just check the manufacturer's website to be sure before buying. But I still wouldn't spend $250 on a motherboard when you can find many, many good Z68 motherboards for $150.

I know there is a beta bios for 22nm cpu's on my z68 maximus gene-z
 
Right now if have a decent computer I'd make sure the following were upgraded.

1. Memory
2. SSD
3. Bad azz cooling and case
4. Z68 board and 2500K
 
Or should I buy a piece of crap motherboard and then plan to replace both the CPU and motherboard when I upgrade to IB?


Don't get a piece of crap. Get something decent/good. You can get that for $100 or just a little over (maybe like $130 or so)

When IB comes out you can ask yourself if you want to switch for about a 5% IPC increase. When the first videocards with PCI-E 3 come out you will see benchmarks that show no difference (or very tiny) when they are used with PCI-E 2 motherboards.
 
Futureproof?

With intel, just assume the mobo is just as disposable as the CPU itself. It's rare you don't replace both together unless it's just an incremental upgrade. Keeps intel partners profitable and therefore happy. I figured, when I bought my i7 920 I wasn't keeping the mobo any longer than the CPU itself. Looks like I was right. Getting a good mobo *may* help with overclocking to help offset the additional cost.

AMD has a much better track record of keeping their sockets the same much longer, but they are slower.
 
You can't futureproof. That being said, now is an excellent time to buy a 2500 or 2600, as the 2700 release will drop the prices slightly/some companies are looking to clear stock. The Ivy Bridge next year is a die shrink and won't have as huge an effect on performance as would new architecture.
 
I'd say wait till Ivy Bridge and futureproof with that generation (at least for the next 2 or 3 years after that CPU comes out). It's what I'm going to do.
 
Supposedly 1H12, most likely June release?

How far parted out is the rig? Maybe get a cheap I3 and a H61 (microcenter combo style) and get some 1.5V 1600 ddr3 while the memory is remarkably low to get running again. Then move to a Z75 or Z77 board and Ivy Bridge K chip later.
 
I'm at a loss as to what I should do. I just parted out my old q6600 system and I'm just about to order up a new PC.

Should I pick up a 2500k and then drop $250 on an ASRock Z68 gen 3 motherboard with PCI-E generation 3 compatibility?

That way I can just buy an IB and a PCI-E 3 video card and be set, and not have to worry about upgrading my motherboard in the next generation of hardware?

Or should I buy a piece of crap motherboard and then plan to replace both the CPU and motherboard when I upgrade to IB?

Will the ASRock z68 still be a premium motherboard 10 months from now with an IB inside it?

oh god this is such a no brainer. how many times must people be told this. how many guides must be written.

2500k and whatever motherboard you like. hurry up, holy crap god.
 
Back
Top