Go 780 Ti SLI or something else?

DrexelDragon

Limp Gawd
Hello Everyone,

I currently have a single 780 Ti. I've been gaming at 4K for the past few weeks and I've found the performance to (obviously) but not what I was used to at 1440p and 1080p. I am returning the 4K monitor until I make my decision.

Do you think it's worth it to grab another 780 Ti to put in SLI or to go for something that has more VRAM like the R9 295X2?

I would hold off on any decisions about 4K gaming until the next generation of cards from both manufacturers are released. The price of 4K monitors is only going to come down as time goes on anyway, as well as including better panel technologies.

If you have to get something now, the extra VRAM will help at 4K resolutions. You're money would probably be better spent on a pair of R9 290X than the R9 295X2. There are 8GB versions of the 290X available that you could look into, because I have seen some instances where TITANS were hitting the VRAM wall at 4K with 6GB.

I would hold off on any decisions about 4K gaming until the next generation of cards from both manufacturers are released. The price of 4K monitors is only going to come down as time goes on anyway, as well as including better panel technologies.

If you have to get something now, the extra VRAM will help at 4K resolutions. You're money would probably be better spent on a pair of R9 290X than the R9 295X2. There are 8GB versions of the 290X available that you could look into, because I have seen some instances where TITANS were hitting the VRAM wall at 4K with 6GB.

Damn, 8GB versions? Holy crap I didn't even know they made those lol But yeah 3 GB is absolutely not enough I was maxing 3GB easy.

I'm not sure I'm following your situation. You currently have a 4K monitor. You're going to return the monitor until you decide what to do regarding increasing your performance to drive your 4K monitor...that you're returning?

For what it's worth, multi-GPU scaling at very high resolutions is pretty good. Another 780 Ti will be a fairly good option. Do you need more than 3GB addressable VRAM? Probably not. Don't let one game (Watch Dogs) drive any of your decisions regarding how much video memory you need at this point, as that game exists as little more than an outlier.

I would hold off until the next line of GPU's come out. Possibly even after that.

Guess is 4K gaming wont really take off until:

A) Prices go down much lower.
B) Monitor sizes go down to a size most people buy.
C) Nvidia Pascal/Stacked memory shows up allowing insanely high bandwidth and memory capacity growth.

Right now it's just a luxury item to have on a workstation. If you have the money a dual 780 Ti wont hurt, but it's kind of throwing good money after bad at this point if you ask me. Right now you're riding the bleeding edge and it comes with some good and bad that is inevitable.

Hold off til new cards arrive -- you still probably won't get the performance you want, but hey, bleeding edge and all..

Back