GNS3 problems

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
The last time I used GNS3 was on Ubuntu... or Mint... I can't remember, but it was on a Linux platform and it performed flawlessly.

In my current living conditions I don't have the space to run a separate Linux box so I attempted the Windows 7 64 bit installation.

I can't use it. I have been working with it for a week now without any success. I have tried multiple IOS images:

c2600-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-21a
c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-18
c2691-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-15.T12
c3745-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T6

Plus many more, but you get the idea. I have issues with consoling into the routers. I have routers auto-magically creating WIC interfaces. Dynamips crashes at random times.

I have looked through their forums and I see where people mention the same issues but nobody every lists a resolution. A few mention using the windows XP compatibility fix but that isn't an option for Home Premium users such as myself. Screw you Microsoft.

Windows Vista compatibility doesn't work. Running as administrator doesn't work. Changing console ports doesn't work. Shutting down every other bit of software on my system doesn't work.

I really need this for my CCNP studies so now I am downloading the VM Player so that I can try GNS3's virtual machine.

Anybody else here have similar issues?

When I used it back in a few classes a few years back, I had the same problems that you described....it worked, just with a lot of issues. Never tried it on Linux though.

It is most annoying because it is used specifically in the CBT nuggets CCNP route videos. I see it running fine there, on what is clearly a Windows 7 system, yet I can't get mine to work.

I'm running GNS3 in Win7 X64 and have used it over multiple machines. The first thing to do is test dynamips.

Are you running the latest version, which contains everything (putty, winpcap, wireshark, dynamips, qemu, qemu patch, etc)?

For what it is worth, I have GNS3 0.7.4 running perfectly on a Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, with zero problems. I usually have between 4 to 8 routers running at a time.

I believe it is straight out of the box install, no modifications needed. I only use c3640-ik9s-mz.123-26.bin for all my routers.

Back