Gnome 3 looks good

• Thread starter Deleted member 214115
  • Start date
really?\

guess it is just a matter of opinion...... defiantly wont be putting 3.0 , staying with 2.x on my boxes, probably going to start looking at some other desktop managers soon, since Gnome 2.x is meh as it stands

I think it looks pretty slick, less obtrusive than KDE4, but not as 'meh' as gnome 2. I still probably wont use it (I prefer the minimalist fluxbox WM), but it looks pretty good.

Gnome 3 looks to have a lot of similar features to Unity (Ubuntu 11.04's new desktop manager).

I bet Ubuntu 11.04 is using Gnome 3 as the base for their desktop manager

Yes and no - they're definitely using Gnome 3, but not Gnome Shell (the standard gnome 3 interface), having decided to use their own custom Unity interface instead. As for unity being based on gnome shell: It doesn't look like it. Gnome shell is basically a plugin for mutter (the new compositing gnome window manager), and written in javascript, while unity is a plugin for compiz (another compositing window manager), and is written in C++.

I didn't care for it at first, but as I continue to read more about it and watch demos, the more I like it.

But I still fear change :(

Well, there's always KDE. ;)
(KDE 4 is perfectly decent these days, and while it has all sorts of stuff you can do, the basic things are more "normal" than in gnome shell or unity).

At least there is Xfce for those who don't like the new Gnome. It's very similiar to Gnome 2.x and never really changes much as it updates.

Back