• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GMX 5.1s and no EAX

Summoner

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Sep 6, 2003
Messages
1,458
I ordered a set of Klipsch GMX 5.1s for $99 (too good a deal to pass up) but have found out that my Audigy 2 doesnt send EAX through the digital out, so my games will be 2.1.

I have an Onkyo DS777 as my home theater amp and that has 6 channel in and optical out - can i route the sound from the audigy to the amp, loop it through the DACs on there and output it to my GMX 5.1s, where the decoder there will then output 5.1?

If not, i guess i'll wait and hope Nforce4 boards are AGP and have soundstorm, unless someone has a better idea?
 
EAX isn't discreet 5.1 anyway, you could play your games in ProLogic2. Just set the decoder to that and you will get sound from all 6 speakerss. Positional audio sounded more beleivable with PL2 than with EAX, when I owned this set. I also rigged the GMX's to connect directly to the sound card at one point, bypassing the decoder pod entirely. I controlled the volume with my keyboard. But I was annoyed by the loud thump I would hear whenever I restarted my pc.
 
ncantador said:
EAX isn't discreet 5.1 anyway, you could play your games in ProLogic2. Just set the decoder to that and you will get sound from all 6 speakerss. Positional audio sounded more beleivable with PL2 than with EAX, when I owned this set. I also rigged the GMX's to connect directly to the sound card at one point, bypassing the decoder pod entirely. I controlled the volume with my keyboard. But I was annoyed by the loud thump I would hear whenever I restarted my pc.

How did you bypass the pod? I wish they would have put 6 channel analog inputs on it :)
 
Actually, the G-9 input on the back of the sub IS analog. Thats why I was able to bypass the decoder pod. I got your PM and sent you back a reply.
 
I thought the GMX's came with a digital coax-analog converter cord for this sort of thing, atleast that's the impression I got from reading some reviews (IGN namely). If your set didn't come with one, you may want to look into it.
 
tenken said:
I thought the GMX's came with a digital coax-analog converter cord for this sort of thing, atleast that's the impression I got from reading some reviews (IGN namely). If your set didn't come with one, you may want to look into it.

Yes, you can use that, but the problem (if you can call it one) is that only 2channel sound is sent thru the digital out for games - only movies (or a game with dolby digital 5.1) gives a 5.1 output. Most 5.1 speakers have analog inputs so you can use EAX etc, but the GMXs dont. Ncantadors workaround for that is perfect though :)
 
Ncantadors would you mind pmimg me with that work around? I think I'll need it with my GMX's I just picked up. Also anyone else have a constant humming through the speakers? any thoughts on that? Using a plain SB audigy. Thanks.

JasonG
 
YGPM, don't know about the humming though, sounds as though you have a grounding issue.
 
Lots of people are having the humming on the klipsch boards. Don't get me wrong these speakers sound great for 75 bucks especially when cranked up. I'm just trying to debate whether or not the this fix will work or if I should just bit the bullet and return them and get the 2.1 THX certified ones for 150 bucks. Thanks for the info.

JasonG
 
ncantador said:
EAX isn't discreet 5.1 anyway, you could play your games in ProLogic2. Just set the decoder to that and you will get sound from all 6 speakerss. Positional audio sounded more beleivable with PL2 than with EAX, when I owned this set.

I guess im not the only one who agrees with you. playing deux ex 2 with prologic sounds much better thn the eax analog out
 
JasonG said:
Ncantadors would you mind pmimg me with that work around? I think I'll need it with my GMX's I just picked up. Also anyone else have a constant humming through the speakers? any thoughts on that? Using a plain SB audigy. Thanks.

JasonG
just bought these totally on an impulse :( had no idea about the 5.1 issue. can i get the info too?
 
Back
Top