Gmail Making Email Safer With New Security Warnings

HardOCP News

[H] News
In a recent blog post, Google outlined security changes the company is making to Gmail that will hopefully keep you safe from suspicious email and web sites.

On the web or Android, if you receive a message that can’t be authenticated with either Sender Policy Framework (SPF) or DKIM, you’ll see a question mark in place of the sender’s profile photo, corporate logo, or avatar. On the web, if you receive a message with a link to a dangerous site known for phishing, malware, and Unwanted Software, you’ll begin to see warnings when you click on the link. These warnings are an extension of the Safe Browsing protection available to various web browsers today.

Speaking of that, Google pushed an update for Chrome this morning that disabled autocomplete functionality. Good idea.

People are still going to click on the emails, and ignore all the warnings. But at least Google can say "I told you so!"

I mean it's nice they are doing this, but you can't fix stupid. I firmly believe the ones that open stupid emails are going to do so no matter what. It's like spam email for me. I have one of the original beta gmail addresses. I get at most 1 spam every few months in my inbox. I don't understand what people are doing to get hundreds a day. Stop signing up for stupid shit perhaps?

Actually this is going on for a few months now , i updated my company SPF records just for Google like two months ago, i figured the next step is mail relay companies lowering mail score for no SPF.

I mean it's nice they are doing this, but you can't fix stupid. I firmly believe the ones that open stupid emails are going to do so no matter what. It's like spam email for me. I have one of the original beta gmail addresses. I get at most 1 spam every few months in my inbox. I don't understand what people are doing to get hundreds a day. Stop signing up for stupid shit perhaps?
lol. Well if nobody knows your email address, then I guess you're safe :D

Actually this is going on for a few months now , i updated my company SPF records just for Google like two months ago, i figured the next step is mail relay companies lowering mail score for no SPF.
Now days, SPF isn't enough. You also need to implement DMARC records in DNS to reduce email spoofing fraud.

lol. Well if nobody knows your email address, then I guess you're safe :D

That's the thing though, it isn't an inactive e-mail. I've signed up for forums, games and who knows what else. I'm not exactly trying to be super cautious or anything. Just what I consider not being stupid. I do avoid things like Facebook, Twitter, coupon crap and generally anything "free".

That's the thing though, it isn't an inactive e-mail. I've signed up for forums, games and who knows what else. I'm not exactly trying to be super cautious or anything. Just what I consider not being stupid. I do avoid things like Facebook, Twitter, coupon crap and generally anything "free".
I think I let my address end up on craigs list once. That was my biggest mistake. Also any email address listed on a website will end up in spam lists.

It also doesn't help that I have a first initial + middle initial + (a common) last name gmail address that multiple other people somehow think is theirs from time to time. (I've had them sign me up to facebook, send me selfies from a photobooth in chicago, ended up in wedding invitations in florida, got a job offer to be a gunsmith for the secret service, etc etc.)

I think I let my address end up on craigs list once. That was my biggest mistake. Also any email address listed on a website will end up in spam lists.

It also doesn't help that I have a first initial + middle initial + (a common) last name gmail address that multiple other people somehow think is theirs from time to time. (I've had them sign me up to facebook, send me selfies from a photobooth in chicago, ended up in wedding invitations in florida, got a job offer to be a gunsmith for the secret service, etc etc.)

That would certainly explain some of it. I wouldn't ever use my name as an email address except for an internal business email.

SPF should be mandatory for all mail systems. DKIM is only meant to ensure message integrity, btw.
Edit: SPF with DMARC. derp.

Last edited:
Back