Glossy Screen

Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
531
Wondering whats out there for glossy screens size 20"+ looking to sell my 2405 for one of these. Pros and Cons compared to the Dell 2405

Let me know

Thanks in advance
 
There's not too much to say ..... other than an abundance of information that you wouldn't be able to google real quick. A glossy screen is ... glossy.

Pros: looks cool
Cons: reflects, and tends to get like 'omg don't touch my screen'

I've ran into a few campus laptops with gloss screens. Seems more of a marketting pitch to me. I guess you can look at it as going from a newspaper to a photoprint in a way .... if only newspapers has a subtle gloss like most monitors.
 
Acer and NEC do 20-inch widescreen glossies (1,680 x 1,050 jobs). I am not aware of anything bigger than than right now. NEC may be coming out with a 23-inch AS-IPS glossy soon...

I love glossy screens, the best have the clearest and most vibrant image quality currently available. But on anything larger than 20-inch, I would have my doubts about the reflectivity being a major PITA.
 
Sony's 205HT is also a 20" wide with an X-Brite glossy coating. I heard it's an MVA panel, though the specs look similar to the NEC.
 
I go my toshiba satellite laptop that has a 17" widescreen glossy display, I love it, the blacks look unbelievably dark, dare I say darker than my Viewsonic A90F+ CRT?? the reflections on a black screen aren't that big of a nuisance infact i'm staring at myself as I (in the black areas) and it doesn't bother me, i'm going to get that 20.1" widescreen viewsonic monitor within the next couple of weeks, too bad it isn't glossy



 
Varmint said:
Sony's 205HT is also a 20" wide with an X-Brite glossy coating. I heard it's an MVA panel, though the specs look similar to the NEC.

Link to it can't find that model??
 
I have the Sony SDM-HS95P/R which has the X Black screen and having gone from a standard screen to a glossy screen I would say I couldn't go back to the matt type screen.

The glossy just makes EVERYTHING look better, be it games, films, even standard web browsing IMO.

When I got this monitor I had the choice to either get this or the Dell 2005 for the same price and although I would have been able to display a higher resolution with the Dell, I must say that I am glad I chose the Sony (It's a cool looking monitor aswell ;))

If you could compromise on 20" and switch to a 19" (okay, so your native res will be 1280x1024, which doesn't really bother me) then you should look into it.
 
I for one find glossy screens difficult to use. While they do improve the color vibrancy and contrast they reflect everything in the background (unless you work in a dark environment ambiently lit) which can cause eyes to not focus on the screen but on the reflection.

Pro:
Better contrast
Better colors

Cons:
Increased eyestrain
Increased glare (despite what they say)
 
Back
Top