Glossy or matte?

Do you prefer glossy or matte LCD?

  • glossy

    Votes: 22 24.4%
  • matte

    Votes: 62 68.9%
  • it doesn't matter

    Votes: 6 6.7%

  • Total voters
    90
Matte of course. If you want to see your face (and everything else behind you) on the screen just buy a mirror!
 
Matte of course. I already lived through glossy panels in the late 1980's no need to do that again. :D For years in the 80s it was a big factor in most reviews to mention the effectiveness of the Anti-reflective coating as everyone hated reflections. Now they bring them back worse than ever.:eek:

What is funny I was at a big box store with row upon row of monitors, on a lower shelf (about 8feet away) there were some that because of the angle I was viewing them and the overhang of the shelf, had no reflections at all. Here is the kicker:

When there are no reflections I could not tell any difference between the matte and gloss screens.

I am starting to suspect those who like glossy, like reflections, much like they way a waxed car looks best when it has shiny deep reflections. Except I don't trying read off a waxed car. I think the reflections are the biggest aspect of the "POP" everyone talks about.
 
i like glossy more

lol what you said about waxy cars might actually be true though, the hint of a reflectino in the background does make the colors seem to really pop though

Ive had a glossy monitor for a long time now and I still haven't been bothered by reflections
 
The reflections drive me up the wall. So no glossy for me.
 
I must confess, I love my 20wmgx2. With the brightness turned way down it's just so comfortable to look at. The reflections actually make it easier on the eyes.

However, I do almost all my gaming on a matte screen. I like not having to make choices. :D
 
I would prefer glossy, but unfortunately there are no suitable quality glossy monitors in the market.
 
I just got a glossy monitor, I like it (although the reflections can be an issue in certain situations).

Shiny stuff just looks better in general. For example, a freshly waxed car, a sparkling gold chain, an oiled-up super-model in a bikini, etc.
The reflections are what add that extra "bling"!!!
 
Shiny stuff just looks better in general. For example, a freshly waxed car, a sparkling gold chain, an oiled-up super-model in a bikini, etc.
The reflections are what add that extra "bling"!!!

This is true as long as the bling doesnt interfere with functionality. Unfortunately in this case it does. Back when I had a glossy monitor I had to turn all the lights out just to see what it was displaying. So unless all your lamps/lights are behind the screen, I would definitely recommend matte.
 
Matte of course. I already lived through glossy panels in the late 1980's no need to do that again. :D For years in the 80s it was a big factor in most reviews to mention the effectiveness of the Anti-reflective coating as everyone hated reflections. Now they bring them back worse than ever.:eek:

What is funny I was at a big box store with row upon row of monitors, on a lower shelf (about 8feet away) there were some that because of the angle I was viewing them and the overhang of the shelf, had no reflections at all. Here is the kicker:

When there are no reflections I could not tell any difference between the matte and gloss screens.

I am starting to suspect those who like glossy, like reflections, much like they way a waxed car looks best when it has shiny deep reflections. Except I don't trying read off a waxed car. I think the reflections are the biggest aspect of the "POP" everyone talks about.

The whole anti-glare screen effectiveness issue with regard to CRT was the very reason I thought glossy was a terrible idea.

And then, I went into Sears, saw glossy and non-glossy Samsung TVs side by side, and the black on the glossy screens just looked much truer. I wish there was a way to get that without the reflections, but the light, if not diffused across the screen has to go somewhere...

All that said, I won't vote for glossy or non-glossy above. By stopping CRT production way before worthy successors were marketed, it's more of a dilemma than a choice...
 
SH1. The comparison in the Electronics shop under bright light doesn't lend itself to making good choices. You won't be sitting one next to the other at home and shining bright lights on them. Read what I bolded. When I saw a row that was shadowed and had no reflectios or diffusion, I couldn't tell the difference. When they measure the values, there is no difference.

In the case of very strong lights facing the actual screen, matte can look pretty bad because you will get some strong diffusion, that destroys black, but it is subtle in that people don't think. Hey I wouldn't do that at home. Now on the glossy they get a sharp bright reflection of the image, but the rest of the blacks are better. People automatically think I wouldn't do that at home, so they ignore the reflection because they wouldn't do that. They don't recognize and ignore how the same light is ruining the matte image and that they wouldn't do that at home. It is not a fair comparison.

In a lower light home environment you are going to suffer much less diffusion but reflections will never go away. I am typing on my matte LCD right now and my only semi gloss CRT next to it, occasional reflections pop up much like this one when I took a picture in similar conditions of my setup days back:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7954/marblereflectionap0.jpg

Conditions right now. Lights out. Window is behind the back of both monitors. 7:20pm now (pic was around 8:20pm) and my window faces north and it is overcast. So only indirect light coming in behind the monitors still reflections on the semi gloss CRT. My matte LCD shows nothing. My CRT along with the reflections, shows streaks fingerprints etc...

I have a basic matte LCD and it looks very black in daytime. In the dark it doesn't matter what coating you have, it will glow grey.

Bottom line, people really assume the opposite. Bright light shining on screens is actually more detrimental in store to matte screens, you need to protect both technologies from that. But gloss screens are more insidious. The reflect with ANY light. While matte screens will get much better in the home as they don't get massive diffusion from insane lighting.

In essense: Dont' be taken in by the smoke and err.. Mirrors. :D
 
The lighting was on the darker side in that Sears. In the bright lights of Circuit City, the difference was indeed more pronounced. I suppose it ultimately gets into very subjective elements of how individuals perceive reflections and such...

Admittedly, a CRT, without controlled lighting, does not have a true black during the day either. (Though, it's contrast ratio advantage is still very apparent.) However, I had a whole room that I suppose was kind of a shrine to the FW900, that kept the lighting lowered and the blacks pretty... :)
 
I have a CRT next to the LCD. In daytime LCD looks blacker. At night it reverses.
 
I was given a new laptop at work with a glossy screen and I realized that the only people who would like these screens are those who love looking at themselves while they use their computers. These things are annoying as f**k!
 
I've never had a problem with glossy screens for home use.
Adjust the location, position and angle so they dont reflect light glare and dont use them in white rooms.

I find colours are more vivid with glossy screens and they seem clearer, I always choose glossy if possible.
 
Glossy monitors are evil. I made the mistake of buying a laptop with the 'upgraded' glossy monitor. What a horrible mistake. God forbid you actually take your laptop outside as they are designed to be portable like that.... all you'll be staring at is your own reflection and the bright objects behind you.
 
Matte reflects light still, but it diffuses it across a large area of the screen. This creates a hazy look that is very annoying, disturbing the quality of brightness and colors.

I like glossy because crisp reflections are easier to ignore, and don't diminish the actual image quality coming out of the monitor.
 
The 17" glossy screen on my Sager laptop has about the best looking LCD display I've ever used.

The reflection stuff doesn't bother me. I have a bright light source right behind me and the reflection on my screen isn't bad enough to hinder my experience.
 
Back
Top