• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Glossy LCDs Confusion

altjx

n00b
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
42
I've purchased an ASUS 24" Glossy Black monitor from Newegg about a year ago, and then I've just purchased another one, but 23" which also stated it was Glossy Black. The issue I've realized I've run into is that I interpreted "Glossy" as in the actual screen being glossy. Personally, I prefer to have a monitor that has that nice gloss to the LCD, but it appears that the only thing glossy about these ASUS monitors are the black frame around it, which I don't care for.

I do not know too much about monitors and the exact feature I'm looking for. Is there something I should be looking for while I look for monitors with the glossy LCD? Apparently, searching for Glossy LCDs on sites like TigerDirect, Newegg, Bestbuy, etc, doesn't appear to yield me the results I'm looking for. (because the ASUS monitor that I currently have shows up in the results, when it doesn't have a glossy LCD)

When I refer to Glossy LCDs, I mean the kind of monitors you can look at and it almost appears to be a mirror because it shows the reflections of everything. Can someone help me identify the monitor feature I'm looking for?
 
I've noticed that a lot of the monitors listed as "Glossy Black" refer to the frame in almost all cases. What you want is a "Glossy screen" or "Glossy Display". I personally can't stand glossy screens, so when I was recently shopping for a new monitor I ran into the same problem you are experiencing. Most of the manufacturers I was considering didn't even list glossy/matte on their own product pages! Infuriating!

I guess the only way to figure it out for sure is to either read tons of reviews (Newegg reviews usually mention it somewhere if you read enough) or see the product in person. Calling the store or manufacturer is probably an exercise in futility, as most drones won't be willing, or able to help. On Newegg you can also search filter the reviews for keywords, so maybe typing "glossy" or "matte" into a search of the reviews might help. Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossy_display
 
Last edited:
I've noticed that a lot of the monitors listed as "Glossy Black" refer to the frame in almost all cases. What you want is a "Glossy screen" or "Glossy Display". I personally can't stand glossy screens, so when I was recently shopping for a new monitor I ran into the same problem you are experiencing. Most of the manufacturers I was considering didn't even list glossy/matte on their own product pages! Infuriating!

I guess the only way to figure it out for sure is to either read tons of reviews (Newegg reviews usually mention it somewhere if you read enough) or see the product in person. Calling the store or manufacturer is probably an exercise in futility, as most drones won't be willing, or able to help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossy_display

Oh ok. Glad I'm not crazy then. Thanks man!
 
Back
Top