Glossy IPS 144hz Monitors

rocketr2

Gawd
Are there any Glossy IPS 144hz monitors out there ? or any that could be converted to glossy by removing the AG filter?

The only way to get a glossy that I've seen these days are the Korean brand monitors that are all over ebay, I don't think they are 144Hz though, and I think the panels are VA. But they do have glossy 27" 1440p out there, quality is a grab-bag.

If you want to risk smoking 500-600 dollars, I know some people online have removed the AG filter on their Dell monitors. I want to say there was a member here offering their services doing it as he seemed pretty skilled at it. I'd love the AG coating on my S2716DG gone, but I'm not willing to risk throwing 600 dollars down the drain, lol.

he only way to get a glossy that I've seen these days are the Korean brand monitors that are all over ebay

Pretty much. There are a handful of glossy monitors that aren't imports, but aside from the Apple Thunderbolt Display, none that I can find that are IPS and 1440p. Monoprice had one and stopped selling it a few months back (also not 144hz).

and I think the panels are VA

They are AHVA, often confused with VA, but actually an IPS clone (like PLS).

The only way to get a glossy that I've seen these days are the Korean brand monitors that are all over ebay, I don't think they are 144Hz though, and I think the panels are VA. But they do have glossy 27" 1440p out there, quality is a grab-bag.

If you want to risk smoking 500-600 dollars, I know some people online have removed the AG filter on their Dell monitors. I want to say there was a member here offering their services doing it as he seemed pretty skilled at it. I'd love the AG coating on my S2716DG gone, but I'm not willing to risk throwing 600 dollars down the drain, lol.
Is the S2716DG IPS?

It's a TN panel.

Yup -- TN, it doesn't have the "pop" of an IPS, and the antiglare coating doesn't help any, but once you get it setup right it's not that bad. The out of the box settings are terrible IMO. I'm used to cheap Korean panels so it takes some getting used to for sure, when I did some test images during calibration it was crazy to see just how bad some of those Korean panels handle banding and other stuff. Side by side it was weird to see how I was so used to "white" that actually had some red in it... I still miss a litle bit of vibrancy (even after turning gamma down) but overall it's nice to have something quality in front of me.

Back