Glossy finish worsens the effect of backlight unevenness? Your opinion!

haggis

n00b
Based on LCD displays I've looked at in the past, I've somehow always been under the impression that backlight issues, such as unevenness, are much more visible on glossy screens than their matte counterparts. I'm no expert in the field, but could it have something to do with the fact that the glossy finish increases the perceived contrast, thus exposing the flaws of the display panel to a higher extent? If so, then this gives me a definite reason to prefer matte screens. :p

What are your takes on this?

I think uneven BL bleed, (flashlights or clouds) sucks regardless of screen finish.

Dave

Not to go off in a tangent but, I don't see why anyone would prefer a glossy finish anyway, because they're glossy in the first place and show all sorts of distracting reflections all the time.

But, more to the point, since any backlight unevenness would be a fairly "widely spread" image artifact across the screen (i.e., its effect is not observed across a radius of a fraction of an inch, but it's a gradient effect that you observe over multiple inches of screen distance), I don't see how the matteness of the screen surface could hide or mitigate it. The matte finish could blur some fine detail and could conceivably create a halo effect around bright details against a dark background, but those effects operate across screen distances on the order of a few millimeters at most. The light elements on an LCD display are not far enough behind the matte front surface of the screen or the matte surface of the screen is not blurry enough to even out a display flaw that is several inches across.

Yeah my matte 2490 has an uneven area (darker, not brighter actually) in the lower right. Matte does not hide it. I don't find it bothersome personally.

Back