Glossy 24" showdown (Gateway vs HP?)

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
First off, I prefer glossy over matte. It's much crisper and the colors are more vibrant.

Now, which one would be better for Photoshop?

Gateway FHD2400

24-113-012-16.jpg

HP w2408h

24-176-090-17.jpg

I've never owned either of them, but from seeing them both on display, I would says the Gateway hands down. It is so bright, vibrant and amazing looking. It is just stunning.

HP is nice, but meh. Not compared to the Gateway. ;)

I've never owned either of them, but from seeing them both on display, I would says the Gateway hands down. It is so bright, vibrant and amazing looking. It is just stunning.

HP is nice, but meh. Not compared to the Gateway. ;)

yeah, thats what one would assume from reading the extremetech reviews

The gateway is a great monitor, just be warned- some have really really bad backlight bleeding, and the viewing angles are awful

all other problems with this monitor are extremely minor

if i were you id go for the gateway

EDIT* after learning that the HP is certified for windows vista, and the gateway is not, i change recomendation to the HP and destroy my gateway with a sledge hammer

Thanks for the replies

Yes I do use Vista but just because the HP monitor is certified for Vista means it's going to be much better than the Gateway?? (if used with Vista)

Yes I do use Vista but just because the HP monitor is certified for Vista means it's going to be much better than the Gateway?? (if used with Vista)

Vista-ready in terms of monitors just means HDCP-complaint and widescreen, and that they paid for the use of the logo. From ChannelWeb:

Selecting a Vista-friendly monitor is easy, since no special display technology is mandatory for running the OS. Nonetheless, a widescreen LCD will deliver the greatest benefit. Monitors certified for Vista require a widescreen format, DVI/HDCP support, and color calibration for more consistent color prints when used with certified printers. In selecting a monitor for use with Vista, it makes sense to choose one that's certified. However, it's even more important to verify that it offers the right features than simply a "Certified" logo.

So just think of Vista Certified as a synonym for HDCP-compliant and you'd be pretty much on the mark. If it has the features you want at a price you're willing to pay, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Vista Certified logo or lack thereof.

vista certified is just like having PSU : NVIDIA SLI CERTIFIED, THX CERTIFIED, CROSSFIRE CERTIFIED what else?? as most of all would probably say it is a marketing hype...

Not to burst your bubble, but neither are appropriate for photoshop work. Both are 6-bit TN panels. The gamma shift on a TN makes color work painful and inaccurate. For image editing you can trust, get an 8 bit panel. Preferably a IPS screen. However, there are no glossy 24" IPS LCDs, so that narrows the list a bit.

For the best image quality it's the NEC 2490uxi. Also it costs about the same as the HP and Gateway. Added together. It's a pro monitor for graphics pros. Maybe you only need a prosumer model, but only you can say.

A cheaper option, would be the DoubleSight DS-263N. Check the thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268063
It's a wide gamut IPS monitor for under $800.00, but if you are editing images for the web, then you may not want a wide gamut. Which also eliminates the HP.

You could also consider the Apple 23" LCD which is also an IPS based screen.

If you require a high quality 24" for image editing, be prepared to spend more than you want.

Clockdogg - Yeah, that's the sad part...no good 24" for graphic artists. But is this just being nitpicky? I've seen the displays in stores and they looked pretty nice
The DoubleSight does look good but the 700 price tag is kinda crazy...

Clockdogg - Yeah, that's the sad part...no good 24" for graphic artists. But is this just being nitpicky? I've seen the displays in stores and they looked pretty nice

It's also matte, so you probably really don't want it if it's also out of your price range.

Well, VA panels are pretty usable for photoshop (atleast compared to TN). My L245wp is supposedly semi glossy, but it still looks matte to me. Just slightly more reflective than my 2407wfp. Still anything is better than TN, trust me is not nitpicking. I've done photoshop work on a 22" TN for a class and its no fun. Constantly bobbing my head to 'see it' on a level that makes me want slap anyone who would mutter 'VA gamma shift" :p And this was just on a 3070x2304 out of a 7.2 mp camera.

Also PVA/MVA at 24" for around $500 is doable, if not easy thanks to allot of manufactures switching to lower quality TN recently.

Personally, I'd stay a way from the Gateway. The enormous thread for that model has more than enough reasons to make me very reluctant. The scary progressive BLB being one of the more potent reasons. In truth, I'd prefer the older FPD2485W over the FHD2400 even though it's matte and has an inverse ghosting problem.

Bottom line: the 24" display format is a difficult segment to look for a monitor that can accomplish most things well and still be affordable. Personally, out of most models mentioned I'd probably lean towards the HP taking price into consideration, but since you want to work with Photoshop, you will need to increase your budget.

Etech4sale has refurbished nec 20wmgx2, probably the only glossy IPS
Well, that's a 20" display and the OP wants something in 24".

Well, that's a 20" display and the OP wants something in 24".

The OP also wants glossy and good for photo editing (which means non-TN). There are no monitors that fulfill all those criteria for any price that I know of, much less a reasonable one. IMHO, the glossy requirement would be the logical one to drop, as it's bad for color reproduction when one wants to print at the very least, but if that's not an option, a smaller screen might be an acceptable compromise.

Back