Glossy 23-24" ips with great sRGB coverage

Immortal46

n00b
Hi,
Actually I have an old TN monitor (HP w2207h) but it's going to die very soon (it tunrs off randomly), so I'm looking for a new one.

From the CRT era, I've always used glossy monitors and I just love them (reflections don't bother me).

I don't need a monitor for hardcore gamers (unfortunately I have no time for that), but I'd like to have a monitor with great color accuracy because I need to post-produce a lot of pics. (Consider that I already have a Spyder4 Pro, so the factory pre-calibration is not required).

My current monitor covers 95-96% of sRGB gamut. The only glossy monitor that I have found is Dell S2340L, but it seems it covers only 90% and this is not so good.

My budget is 250€/330$... what do you suggest?

ps. I know that there is the eizo fs2333, but it's not glossy, it's ugly and it has a lot of features for gamers that I don't need :)

I'm not aware of any glossy 23-24"ers meant for photo use. Actually... besides the Dell S series, I don't recall any 23-24" IPS glossy monitors at all, besides the old 24" Apple Cinema Display from several years ago.

You could consider the NEC EA244WMI, or Eizo 2336, which will be a bit more than your budget, at around $370-$400. I have no idea what their color coverage is, however, and they won't be glossy ... but they will have a light matte coating.... which is at least better than a heavy coating.

If glossy is your main requirement, you could alternatively consider a 27" 1080p IPS, as I think some of those may be glossy. But I am not sure what their color coverage is, and 1080p at that size will be a bit blockier pixel-wise.

They don't make glossy panels for photo work probably because If you have ever spoken with long standing pro photographers the majority hate glossy panels (cult-ishly I might add). The added appearance of contrast that does not exist is kind of bad for grey scale if you are going for accuracy. The 'pop' is not an accurate portrayal. AND some of it is just misunderstanding but whatever, it still exists and drives the market somewhat. For photo I would really get into the semi-gloss light matte stuff (everyone else is and more choices now). I used to use gloss and I like the light matte quite a bit. Don't even know it is AG until I can still see when the light hits my room. I don't know of any 100% aRGB with glossy. Best you can get would be w-led 97-100% sRGB (77% aRGB). CCFL may be better but they are phasing out.

I'm not aware of any glossy 23-24"ers meant for photo use. Actually... besides the Dell S series, I don't recall any 23-24" IPS glossy monitors at all, besides the old 24" Apple Cinema Display from several years ago.

You could consider the NEC EA244WMI, or Eizo 2336, which will be a bit more than your budget, at around $370-$400. I have no idea what their color coverage is, however, and they won't be glossy ... but they will have a light matte coating.... which is at least better than a heavy coating.

If glossy is your main requirement, you could alternatively consider a 27" 1080p IPS, as I think some of those may be glossy. But I am not sure what their color coverage is, and 1080p at that size will be a bit blockier pixel-wise.

Unfortunately, I have no room for a 27" monitor... so...less choices for me!
btw, thank you for your answer!

They don't make glossy panels for photo work probably because If you have ever spoken with long standing pro photographers the majority hate glossy panels (cult-ishly I might add). The added appearance of contrast that does not exist is kind of bad for grey scale if you are going for accuracy. The 'pop' is not an accurate portrayal. AND some of it is just misunderstanding but whatever, it still exists and drives the market somewhat. For photo I would really get into the semi-gloss light matte stuff (everyone else is and more choices now). I used to use gloss and I like the light matte quite a bit. Don't even know it is AG until I can still see when the light hits my room. I don't know of any 100% aRGB with glossy. Best you can get would be w-led 97-100% sRGB (77% aRGB). CCFL may be better but they are phasing out.

As you said.. "the majority". I know that I am one of the 0,000001% of the people that work hours (even 10-12h a day) with a glossy monitor without problems (no eyes fatigue).
Anyway I always thought that glossy monitors help me to appreciate micro-details, but I didn't know that it's bad for grey scale accuracy :eek:
I know that the "pop" effect is innatural (it's the same effect that you can find in a lot of led TVs), but I thought that through a calibration, it would be ok!
So, considering the semi-gloss coating (and also considering that I'm looking for sRGB coverage for now, and not aRGB), what do you suggest? Eizo FS2333?

If I recall right, the 2333 doesn't have a height adjustable stand. If that matters to you, you may prefer the 2336 instead -- http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2336w/
It also has the benefit of being PWM-free at brightness over 20%.

I am not sure if they are 6 bit + 2 bit FRC or 8 bit ... or PLS or IPS ... Eizo was sort of tight-lipped about that. I believe both use a light coating, although not sure if they use the same exact coatings.

NEC just came out with a new 23"er, EA234WMi-BK, so that may also be suitable. But no idea on the coverage or coating it uses. It'd be about $100 less than the Eizos. And there is aso the semiglossy Samsung 24" PLS, but it is a bit over your pricerange, and known to have bleed issues.

If I recall right, the 2333 doesn't have a height adjustable stand. If that matters to you, you may prefer the 2336 instead -- http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2336w/
It also has the benefit of being PWM-free at brightness over 20%.

I am not sure if they are 6 bit + 2 bit FRC or 8 bit ... or PLS or IPS ... Eizo was sort of tight-lipped about that. I believe both use a light coating, although not sure if they use the same exact coatings.

NEC just came out with a new 23"er, EA234WMi-BK, so that may also be suitable. But no idea on the coverage or coating it uses. It'd be about $100 less than the Eizos. And there is aso the semiglossy Samsung 24" PLS, but it is a bit over your pricerange, and known to have bleed issues.

2333 has a height adjustable stand. It only miss the pivot function (that I don't need).
AFAIK 2333 is 6+2bit frc pls (as reported in prad.de review or tftcentral, I don't remember).
Now I'm going to read more about the 2336 and the NEC, thanks again!

fs2333 has pivot at base unless I misunderstand what that is. It turns on a circular base with little effort. Everything I read is that it is 10-bit LUT and 8-bit panel. Prad never mentioned it and tftcentral never reviewed it. Not sure why they would go up to 10-bit then back down to 6 and dither up. Doesn't matter on the fs2333 though. Best gradients I have seen on sub $600.00 monitor.

fs2333 has pivot at base unless I misunderstand what that is. It turns on a circular base with little effort. Everything I read is that it is 10-bit LUT and 8-bit panel. Prad never mentioned it and tftcentral never reviewed it. Not sure why they would go up to 10-bit then back down to 6 and dither up. Doesn't matter on the fs2333 though. Best gradients I have seen on sub $600.00 monitor.

Pivot means that you can rotate your monitor in order to have the panel disposed vertically (a sort of 1080x1920).
A lot of things are made in high precision with an approximation only at the end of the process. It assures you more precision, and I think they made the same thing in this kind of panel. Assume that you read a value of 3.45/10 (I don't want to use 256 or 1024 as upperbound :p ), and for some reason you have to square that value. If you trim the value at the beginning, your final result will be 9, otherwise it will be 12...and this is the same concept behind extended LUT, I suppose :D

Not sure why they would go up to 10-bit then back down to 6 and dither up.
To ensure a precise defined reproduction characteristic while avoiding a loss of tonal values regarding the input signal. The FRC stage at the end is quite transparent for the user and much better than a simple lsb cutting-off .

Pivot means that you can rotate your monitor in order to have the panel disposed vertically (a sort of 1080x1920).

OK. Thanks for defining. I always thought 'pivot back and forth'. But no, you can't do that on the Foris. Widescreen only.

Back