• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Glorious Revolution

Crimson Tear

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
337
How about this for a glorious revolution... I just upgraded from a GeForce 3 Ti200 to a 6600GT. My god, talk about a difference. I am now able to play FEAR, which, IMO is as good as or better than HL2, probably better. Viva la revolución!

Is it because of DirectX 9 that I can see affects I never even knew existed before?
 
sweet, welcome to 2004! :p J/K man :)

I just got my geforce 2 pro (gainward golden sample: only the best for me, of course!) back from my stepdad after upgrading his rig. Loved that card back in the day.
 
I had a similar upgrade going from an Elsa GeForce 3 to a 6800GT. Until then I never knew that KotR had a blurring when using force speed. And yes, from what I've been told, it is because of DirectX 9
 
hehe seems about as glorious as mine, I went from a radeon 9200 to a 7800 gt
 
I went from Internal graphics to an FX5500. Pretty good although not mind blowing. At least i could start the game up...

If it's:

Internal Graphics to <Any Video Card> then its real good.
 
yeah, DX9 is the reason you're seeing things you didn't notice before. In fact, the reason that HL2 runs as well as it does on older cards is because it reverts to older versions of directx (lessening the effects). if you have a look on the steampowered website, you can find the command to force HL2 to use specific directx versions.
 
You know, sometimes I feel sorry for people who upgrade every year (or more!)
There is a certain 'WoW' factor that goes with upgrading from 3 or 4 year old hardware that always makes my jaw drop.


 
i went from a 16mb card that was underclocked due to artifacting to a x850xt pe...but i didnt see much of a difference because i didnt game much on my pc before i got this rig back in march.....
 
I did a very Similar Upgrade a few months back.

GeForce 3 Ti200 --> GeForce 6800Nu

Welcome to the wonderful club.
 
I went from a Geforce 2 Ti to a GF FX5200 lol. Even though it seems to perform slower, I could see a lot of eyecandy that wouldnt be there otherwise. Still trying to decide on the new video card right now...
 
I actually took a big step backwards with F.E.A.R. On the same day I got the game my 9800Pro kicked the bucket and I had to use a old 8500LE . It worked but just barely with everything turned down to minimum. Had to use that card for over a week before I got a GTO2 and Oced it.

F.E.A.R. really needs a top end card to appreciate it. Your own shadow is amazing. Better than HL2? Thats a tough call but its definitly in the neighborhood. Kicks Doom3's ass hands down tho.
 
I went from a PIII 450 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM and a Riva TNT 16 MB card to a AMD Athlon 3500 with 2 GB RAM and a 7800 GTX

My head swam the day I got my computer, I almost killed myself with a non-stop 48 hour marathon gaming session.

Ultimately my mom had to switch off the main power to trick me into going to bed :p
 
Ultra Wide said:
I went from R9700 to 7800GT, it looks the same to me... :rolleyes:

Well Starcraft will look the same no matter what card you have. Why not try a game that actually taxes your card? :p :p
 
Crimson Tear said:
How about this for a glorious revolution... I just upgraded from a GeForce 3 Ti200 to a 6600GT. My god, talk about a difference. I am now able to play FEAR, which, IMO is as good as or better than HL2, probably better. Viva la revolución!

Is it because of DirectX 9 that I can see affects I never even knew existed before?

Heh, I did the same upgrade in March, I know exactly what you mean.
 
I had the same feeling when I went from the FX5200 to my 9800 Pro...wonder if it will be the same with my X850XT on the way...?
 
Prob the best upgrade I did was from 32mb onboard to a 5200...
I was playing Delta Force: Black Hawk down back then...

From this:


To this... It was Christmas to me...
 
I upgraded from a 9700 Pro to a GTX.
I can now play Zork at 1600x1200 2xTRSSAA 16xAF.
:D


 
My path went thusly:
FX5600 :( > 9800Pro > X850XT> Radeon 7200 Pci :mad: > 7800GT's in SLi + a second rig which will have a 6800GS tomorrow :p

the 7200se to 7800GT SLi jump was, we'll say, breathtaking.
 
Kil4Thril said:
My path went thusly:
FX5600 :( > 9800Pro > X850XT> Radeon 7200 Pci :mad: > 7800GT's in SLi + a second rig which will have a 6800GS tomorrow :p

the 7200se to 7800GT SLi jump was, we'll say, breathtaking.
Hey! You went from a 9800 Pro to X850XT (see sig)! Was it a big difference?
 
i went from a severly underclocked PCI pny geforce 4 mx440(it wouldnt run stable at even a small O'C with a decent cooler) core was like 225 and memory was like 339 to a 7800GTX 512. It made my eyes hurt
 
still running gf4ti4800se, im told if i upgrade to a 6600gt at least it'll be like night and day difference probably gonna go for the 6800gs agp tho, from the reviews i've seen cpu doesnt effect game performance nearly at all so im just gonna stick with my A2400xp until quad cores come out hehe.
 
Thanks for all the replies and support. I just beat FEAR. Don't get me wrong, I loved HL2, I agreed with those who said it was the best game ever made at the time, but FEAR's combat was simply orgasmic for me. No way that HL2 can beat FEAR's combat, the particle affects just do sooo much to the feel of the game. Though, I do need to play through HL2 again now that I have the newer card.

Now for the next question. Is it really worth it to buy BF2? I'm in a quandary(sp?) over this one.
 
Ti 4200 ->>> x800pro. No matter how amazing the jump in performance (there's resolutions over 640x480? wtf), I hate how I'm always wishing I would've gotten something better.
 
EgyptBoy20 said:
Hey! You went from a 9800 Pro to X850XT (see sig)! Was it a big difference?


It wasn't groundbreaking, but definitely noticeable. I mostly needed a PCI-e card at the time to run my FP2405.
 
Shameless Liar said:
I made that exact same jump. eVGA both times!

I had some no-name (3d Fuzion) FX5200, then I got an eVGA 7800GT. Even the quality of the companies was a night-day difference.
 
Back
Top