GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Fab Ships 250,000th 32nm HKMG Wafer

HardOCP News

[H] News
GLOBALFOUNDRIES today announced that its Fab 1 in Dresden, Germany has shipped a quarter of a million semiconductor wafers based on 32nm High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) technology. The milestone represents a significant lead over other foundries in HKMG manufacturing and carries on a long tradition of rapidly ramping leading-edge technologies to volume production.

On a unit basis, cumulative 32nm shipments for the first five quarters of wafer production are more than double that achieved during the same period of the 45nm technology ramp, demonstrating that the overall 32nm ramp has significantly outpaced the 45nm ramp, despite the integration of a number of new and complex elements in both design and process technologies.

Try ramping 3d transistors, then we'll talk :D

They will, but probably not until Intel is on 14nm. Intel is pretty much always a node ahead of everyone else. They are willing to spend massive, massive amounts on R&D and that means they get new processes out first.

Try ramping 3d transistors, then we'll talk :D
Fin-Fets are not coming until 14nm. Both Samsung and IBM showed off early test wafers of them just this week. I personally am more interested in seeing EUV come online more than fin-fets, though the tool manufactures still seem to be struggling to get it bright enough.

Fin-Fets are not coming until 14nm. Both Samsung and IBM showed off early test wafers of them just this week. I personally am more interested in seeing EUV come online more than fin-fets, though the tool manufactures still seem to be struggling to get it bright enough.

haha first time ive seen euv being mentioned on here and I work at the company that is developing it. Yay for the last possible lights source wavelength

Who will be the first to 400mm wafers though?!?! Can't wait to handle a 25 slot containers of those badboys :(

Back