• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Global and Per Game Frame Limiting?

Joined
May 3, 2023
Messages
841
Is there any way to limit frames this way at the driver level aside from v-sync? The only options I found in the control panel were one that says it's limited to exclusive fullscreen, and "Chill" which it implies may have stutters. Suggestions on alternatives (eg. Afterburner/Rivatuner) be be appreciated if I can't do it in AMD's control panel.
 
not at driver level(wish theyd add that) but rivatuner can do that. you can set a global max and per game max, you just have to add them.
 
Is there any way to limit frames this way at the driver level aside from v-sync? The only options I found in the control panel were one that says it's limited to exclusive fullscreen, and "Chill" which it implies may have stutters. Suggestions on alternatives (eg. Afterburner/Rivatuner) be be appreciated if I can't do it in AMD's control panel.
FRTC Framerate Target Control. Its in AMD's global options.

And....what about "chill" implies stutters?

Chill is basically a universal method to do something similar to Nvidia Reflex. More evenly deliver frames, for mor consistent input lag. But, it can also be a framelimiter, as well.
 
FRTC Framerate Target Control. Its in AMD's global options.

And....what about "chill" implies stutters?

Chill is basically a universal method to do something similar to Nvidia Reflex. More evenly deliver frames, for mor consistent input lag. But, it can also be a framelimiter, as well.
yes, just global, he was game specific control. which is what i "wish theyd add".
chill =/= reflex and isnt a proper frame limiter. chill drops your fps when youre not in motion to save power and heat.
 
yes, just global, he was game specific control. which is what i "wish theyd add".
chill =/= reflex and isnt a proper frame limiter. chill drops your fps when youre not in motion to save power and heat.
Chill will work as a normal frame rate limiter if you set both its min and max limits to the same value. It can be set per-game too.
 
Chill will work as a normal frame rate limiter if you set both its min and max limits to the same value. It can be set per-game too.
huh, didnt realize that. so i guess op could use it that way.
anti-lag is what would be their reflex equivalent though.
 
FRTC Framerate Target Control. Its in AMD's global options.

And....what about "chill" implies stutters?

Chill is basically a universal method to do something similar to Nvidia Reflex. More evenly deliver frames, for mor consistent input lag. But, it can also be a framelimiter, as well.
The tooltip on FRTC says "smoother frametimes than Chill" and goes on to mention that Chill is motion based and that's how I read it. I'll try setting both rates for Chill the same and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
 
Yes, the individual game profiles should have their own settings for frame limiting and/or "Chill". Rather than using the global setting. I don't actually have an AMD card to look at it myself, however.


Chill Is a semi "intelligent" algorithm, which attempts to evenly pace frames. In addition to potentially doing the motion based thing. Kind of like Reflex. However, it is a generic solution. Whereas Reflex and Anti-Lag 2, use developer support to integrate into the game's actual rendering pipeline.
There are some AMD developer comments out there, saying that Chill should generally have lower latency in average gaming scenarios. And they also recommend it for variable refresh rate displays.
 
Thanks for the tests. Would you be willing to check how the RivaTuner limiter performs (OSD off) please?
You made me curious myself, so I did just that. To save clicking to the other forum again, here's the chart:

second-sun-cumulative+rtss.svg


It's basically the same as Chill.
 
You made me curious myself, so I did just that. To save clicking to the other forum again, here's the chart:

second-sun-cumulative+rtss.svg


It's basically the same as Chill.
So, this is very interesting. In-game frame limiting is vastly superior to every other frame limiting method to date?

I guess that makes sense, because it's the game engine loop that has the front row seat controlling all things timing-wise. I just never thought about it until now.

I had already been doing this with UE5 engine games, but moving forward I'm going to start researching other game engines for their frame limiter settings. Many of them do not expose them in the UI, but with a little research and effort you can often find out where their .ini file is and the corresponding frame limiting variable name.

We've had in-game frame limiting since the original Quake engine.

Anyone know if there's a WSGF database equivalent for frame limiting settings?
 
So, this is very interesting. In-game frame limiting is vastly superior to every other frame limiting method to date?
For that particular game yes, and probably for all Unity games. I can't say for sure about any other games, but probably yes for the reason you stated. I've also seen other claims of in-game limiters being better.
 
Back
Top