Giving Windows For The Holiday: Best Place To Purchase?

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 233889

I'd like to upgrade my parents XP machine to 7 or 8.1 for X-mas this year (Hardware as well). I need a legitimate copy: Where do you guys purchase that offers the best discount?

I'd like to upgrade my parents XP machine to 7 or 8.1 for X-mas this year (Hardware as well). I need a legitimate copy: Where do you guys purchase that offers the best discount?

That's the thing. Well, more of a problem.

If you aren't a student able to get a student discount, I can only think of two places: Amazon and eBay.

The lowest priced Windows 8.1 disc I can find are off eBay. The next ones up are OEM discs off Amazon. Everything after that is Newegg or TigerDirect, or other software vendors at MSRP retail pricing, no discounts. And, I'm not going to bother recommending Best Buy, Office Depot or even Walmart.

Amazon.com - $96.88 for Win 8.1 non-Pro OEM System Builder DVD 64-bit

eBay.com - $85.95 Buy It Now, Free shipping, Win 8.1 non-Pro OEM System Builder DVD 64-bit

Amazon.com - $89.90, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM System Builder DVD 1 Pack

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would get the OEM System Builders edition from Amazon. I've used those versions and they are cheap.

Make sure you know if their computer is 64 bit compatible if you get that version, if not, buy the 32 bit version just in case.

Interesting. My brother is a current student a KSU. So that would work for a nice gift.

What kind of student discount does MS generally offer over retail price? What kind of protocol needs to be followed so the copy isn't tied to him?

Interesting. My brother is a current student a KSU. So that would work for a nice gift.

What kind of student discount does MS generally offer over retail price? What kind of protocol needs to be followed so the copy isn't tied to him?

To my knowledge, you just need a valid .edu e-mail address if buying online or a valid student ID to buy it from your college's on-campus store.

Nothing in the bought product will be tied to your student ID that I know of. I've bought Office 2010 this way.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288769600

That is $69.99 for a full version as long as you have proof of being a student.

To my knowledge, you just need a valid .edu e-mail address if buying online or a valid student ID to buy it from your college's on-campus store.

Nothing in the bought product will be tied to your student ID that I know of. I've bought Office 2010 this way.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288769600

That is $69.99 for a full version as long as you have proof of being a student.

Excellent. Going to be a nice gift for my Mom this year.

Back